Our surgical oncologists are part of multidisciplinary cancer treatment teams that include medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, nurses and other supportive services. At OHSU Knight Cancer Institute, surgical oncology is organized on the Ewing model. Each surgical oncologist has overlapping and complementary areas of clinical focus. Surgical Oncology provides consultations, treatment planning, surgical care and follow-up services for adult patients with solid tumors by fellowship trained cancer surgeons. Our surgical oncology team has particular experience in the management of difficult recurrent or metastatic tumors.
Our surgeons also do research to discover more effective cancer treatments. Drs. SuEllen and Rodney Pommier are studying the role hormones play in breast cancer, and Dr. John Vetto is investigating a new molecular treatment for melanoma. Dr. Mira Milas focuses on hereditary thyroid cancer syndromes and developing new blood test markers for thyroid cancer. Dr. Arpana Naik is studying breast cancer treatment, and Dr. Kevin Billingsley is investigating the results of treatment for colorectal cancer and pancreatic cancer in a large group of patients.
We offer services that include the surgical treatment of:
- Breast cancer
- Tumors of the GI tract
- Thyroid and parathyroid glands
- Endocrine system
- Sentinel lymph node mapping for breast cancer and melanoma
- Skin sparing mastectomy and oncoplastic breast surgery
- Sphincter-preserving surgery for rectal cancer
- Radiofrequency ablation for liver tumors
- Complex liver and biliary tract cancer surgery
- Minimally invasive surgical techniques for many procedures
- Surgical therapy for soft tissue tumors and sarcoma
- Surgical therapy for pancreatic tumors
- Surgical Management of thyroid cancer
- Surgical Management of hyperparathyroidism
At OHSU Knight Cancer Institute, you might have the opportunity to participate in a clinical trial, a research study of new cancer treatments or drugs. Your doctor will tell you if participating in research might be a treatment option for you.