Radiation therapy is a powerful, lifesaving treatment that uses beams of energy to kill cancer cells. About half of all cancer patients get radiation therapy at some point in their treatment. New technology is making it safer and more effective than ever.
At the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute, we offer:
- Nationally known experts in radiation therapy.
- The latest technology and techniques.
- Advanced research and clinical trials.
- A full range of support services, including a guest house for out-of-town patients.
What is radiation therapy?
Radiation therapy uses beams of energy to treat cancer. The energy (called radiation) consists of subatomic particles such as photons, electrons, neutrons and protons.
The radiation damages the DNA inside the cancer cells. Normal cells can repair the damage, but cancer cells can’t. They stop growing and die.
- Destroy tumors.
- Shrink tumors before surgery.
- Kill cancer cells that remain after surgery.
- Ease pain and reduce symptoms.
Your care team may use radiation alone or combine it with other treatment like surgery or chemotherapy.
Types of radiation therapy
Doctors have several ways to zero in on cancer while sparing healthy tissue. They’re divided into three broad types:
- External beam radiation: You get radiation from a machine outside your body.
- Brachytherapy: You get radiation from implants inside your body.
- Nuclear medicine: You get a radioactive drug that zaps cancer cells.
How it works
At your first visit, our team will go over treatment options and side effects. Your next visit involves detailed planning to find the best way to beam radiation at your tumor. Once you start treatment, you will see your radiation oncologist once a week to monitor your progress.
What are the side effects of radiation therapy?
The most common side effects are tiredness, loss of appetite, and skin redness, like a sunburn. Learn more about what to expect in our Radiation Therapy FAQ.
What makes us different
Expertise: Your care will be led by national experts who are dedicated to providing you with the safest, most effective treatment. They are also researchers who develop new treatments and train radiation doctors around the world.
Top minds together: Specialists from a wide range of fields will meet to discuss your case. You benefit from the knowledge of the entire team.
Advanced technology: We use advanced technology to deliver powerful doses of radiation with pinpoint precision.
National recognition: We’ve earned the National Cancer Institute’s top designation for leadership in research. We’re consistently ranked among the best cancer hospitals in the nation by U.S. News & World Report, which also gives us top rating for advanced technology.
Innovation: We’re leading the way in new therapies for prostate cancer, lung cancer, liver cancer, pancreatic cancer, NETs and many other conditions.
The whole you
We treat the whole person, not the disease. We offer a full range of resources, including:
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Nutrition support
- Social workers
- A guest house for out-of-town patients
- Support for life after cancer
Learn about our support services for you and your family
- What is Radiation Therapy, RT Answers, American Society for Radiation Oncology
- Radiation Therapy to Treat Cancer, National Cancer Institute
- Radiation Therapy, American Cancer Society
- Understanding Radiation Therapy, Cancer.Net, American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Request an appointment at our Marquam Hill location: 503-494-8756
- Request an appointment at our Beaverton location: 971-262-9400
Visit our For Cancer Patients page to find a cancer doctor and links to diagnoses.
OHSU Knight Cancer Institute Radiation Medicine, Marquam Hill
Kohler Pavilion, fourth floor
808 S.W. Campus Drive
Portland, OR 97239
OHSU Knight Cancer Institute, Beaverton
15700 S.W. Greystone Court
Beaverton, OR 97006
OHSU Health Hillsboro Medical Center
299 S.E. 9th Ave.
Hillsboro, OR 97123
CMH-OHSU Knight Cancer Collaborative, Astoria
1905 Exchange Street
Astoria, OR 97103
OHSU Radiation Oncology at Roseburg Community Cancer Center
2880 N.W. Stewart Pkwy, #100
Roseburg, OR 97471
Free parking for patients and visitors
Refer a patient
- Refer your patient to OHSU.
- Call 503-494-4567 to seek provider-to-provider advice.
Learn more about OHSU Knight Cancer Institute treatments: