At the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute, our experts provide advanced care for all types of liver cancer. We offer you:
- A team of specialists with advanced training and expertise.
- The latest technology.
- Access to clinical trials for promising therapies that aren’t yet widely available.
- A full menu of support services for you and your family during and after treatment.
Why we're different
- Comprehensive care: We are the only program in Oregon to earn the National Cancer Institute’s top designation for leadership in preventing, diagnosing and treating cancer.
- Depth of experience: Many of our specialists completed fellowships at top cancer centers such as Memorial Sloan Kettering and Johns Hopkins. This advanced training means you receive care from doctors who are experts in their fields.
Top minds together
We use a team approach to liver cancer. Your team works together to support you at every stage, from diagnosis through treatment and follow-up.
Your providers hold a weekly meeting called a tumor board to go over scans, test results and treatment plans together. This gives you the benefit of the team’s full expertise. Your team may include:
- Surgical oncologists, who specialize in liver surgery.
- Medical oncologists, who treat you with chemotherapy, targeted therapy and immunotherapy
- Radiation oncologists, who treat you with radiation therapy
- Hepatologists, who specialize in diagnosing and treating all types of liver disease
- Interventional radiologists, who treat you with minimally invasive procedures
- Transplant surgeons, if you're eligible for a liver transplant
- Palliative care experts, who can help you manage symptoms and stress.
- Cancer dietitians to support your nutrition.
Cancer can be overwhelming. It's hard to juggle appointments, records and tests. Our experienced nurses guide you through treatment so you can focus on your well-being. Starting with your first appointment, our nurse navigators support you by:
- Arranging your appointments.
- Answering your questions and explaining each step of your treatment.
- Gathering medical records.
- Coordinating your care among your providers.
The latest technology and treatment
We offer every treatment available for liver cancer, including:
- Robotic surgery to remove tumors from the liver.
- Transarterial chemoembolization: tiny beads block off the blood supply to tumors while attacking them with chemotherapy.
- Hepatic arterial infusion: A powerful dose of chemotherapy delivered straight to the liver.
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy: high-dose radiation aimed directly at tumors.
- Liver transplants: We are Oregon’s only liver transplant center. We have more than 30 years of experience with this complex procedure.
Liver cancer clinical trials and research
We specialize in research that brings innovations from the lab bench to your bedside.
Clinical trials: We are involved in hundreds of clinical trials to test ways to detect, diagnose or treat cancer. You may be eligible for a clinical trial of a promising new treatment.
State-of-the-art research facilities: Our 320,000-square-foot Knight Cancer Research Building is packed with high-tech equipment for biological research. The building is specifically designed to encourage scientists from different backgrounds work together to advance our knowledge.
Early detection: OHSU’s Cancer Early Detection Advanced Research Center, or CEDAR, has gathered some of the world’s top minds in cancer research. They’re dedicated to finding ways to detect cancer earlier, when it’s most treatable.
Interventional radiology: OHSU’s Dotter Department of Interventional Radiology provides patient care and does extensive research to improve interventional radiology. Providers in this field use specialized imaging to diagnose and treat liver cancer and other illnesses.
Cancer registries: Our cancer registries, including one for liver tumors, collect information and sometimes blood and tissue samples from voluntary participants. They help researchers better understand cancer. Participants help advance research and learn about the latest discoveries.
Call 503-494-7999 to:
- Request an appointment
- Seek a second opinion
- Ask questions
Center for Health & Healing, Building 2
3485 S. Bond Ave.
Portland, OR 97239
Free parking for patients and visitors
News: Read about research breakthroughs, patient care and many other topics on our OHSU News site.