Special focus on
- Biliary Tract Cancer
- Liver Cancer
- Metastatic Colorectal Cancer
- Pancreatic Cancer
- Retroperitoneal Sarcoma
- M.D., Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine 2006
- M.P.H., Oregon Health & Science University School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine 2006
- General Surgery, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2006
- General Surgery, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2013
- Cancer Immunology, Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, 2011
- Complex General Surgical Oncology, Hepatopancreatobiliary Focus, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, 2013-15
- American Board of Surgery, General Surgery, 2013
- American Board of Surgery, Complex General Surgical Oncology, 2016
Dr. Skye Mayo is board certified in both Complex General Surgical Oncology and in General Surgery. His clinical practice serves patients with tumors of the liver, bile ducts, and pancreas. He also treats patients with gall bladder cancer, cancers of the stomach and digestive system, and retroperitoneal sarcomas. His research focuses on helping patients with cancers that have spread to or arise in the liver, such as colorectal cancer and intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma.
Dr. Mayo is an Oregon native: born in Eastern Oregon and raised in Central Oregon. During his surgical residency at Johns Hopkins his clinical and research work focused on the treatment of patients with pancreatic and liver cancers. He completed a research fellowship in Cancer Immunology at the Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins investigating the role of immune therapy in patients with metastatic liver disease. His surgical oncology fellowship at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York was focused in advanced Hepatopancreatobiliary Surgery where he was also certified to perform robotic cancer operations.
He is a member of a talented team of surgeons and oncologists at OHSU where he uses his experience and research to help advance the treatment of patients with cancers of the liver, bile ducts, and pancreas. He is a member of the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute and of the Southwest Oncology Group, which offers patients the latest in cancer care through participation in clinical trials. His research at OHSU involves using hepatic arterial regional therapy for patients with liver and bile duct cancers and investigating how to harness the immune system to fight cancer. Specifically, his research efforts are directed toward the early detection of recurrent cancer and monitoring responses to treatment in patients with colorectal cancer metastatic to the liver.
Dr. Mayo views it as a privilege to work with patients, their families, and primary care doctors to develop the best treatment plans. He is dedicated to offering the highest quality of service. He looks forward to working with other cancer specialists to help give his patients the most options and the best possible outcome.Read more
Memberships and associations
- Society of Surgical Oncology (SSO)
- Americas Hepato Pancreato Biliary Association (AHPBA)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- Connective Tissue Oncology Society (CTOS, Sarcoma)
- American Association of Cancer Research (AACR)
- Johns Hopkins Surgery, Old Hands Club
- American College of Surgeons
- North Pacific Surgical Association
- Portland Surgical Society
- Mackenzie Surgical Society
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Medical Honor Society
- SWOG (Southwest Oncology Group) Surgery and Gastrointestinal Oncology Committee Member
- Trans Atlantic Retroperitoneal Sarcoma Working Group (TARPSWG), Member
4.8 out of 5 (149 Ratings, 32 Comments)
The patient ratings score is an average of all responses to the question "How likely would you be to recommend this provider to your family and friends (on a scale of 0 to 10)" on our nationally-recognized NRC patient surveys.
- Nov 30, 2018
Dr Mayo was informative and is making sure I have the neccessary support system in place before scheduling my surgical procedure.
- Nov 12, 2018
Dr. Mayo is very, very considerate. Remote travelers in our time and everything to get there and back. He explains everything to us so, so thoroughly. He makes us feel so comfortable. I can't say enough nice things about him, but it's been enjoy.... even during a rough situation, it's been a joy. Thank you.
- Nov 09, 2018
Okay. We have always found Dr. Skye Mayo and his staff to be very, very knowledgeable, helpful, informative. Very pleased with the care we received, or I received, and highly recommend them to anyone and everyone. And can't say enough good things about OHSU and Dr. Skye Mayor and his staff. Thank you.
- Nov 09, 2018
I would like to thank Dr Mayo, staff and students for all they did to help get through surgery, the care I received was awesome!!!!!!
- Nov 09, 2018
Dr. Mayo has wonderful bed side manner, he explains everything so you have an understanding of what's happening, and test results and what to expect, and very knowledgeable about the type of cancer that I was dealing with.
- Nov 09, 2018
Professional listen knowledgable, understanding
- Nov 03, 2018
Dr. Mayo is very communicative. He spent some time with both myself and my family members that were there. He also called me back at home about some test results, and I think he performs very well.
- Oct 19, 2018
I can?t possibly imagine getting the opportunity to deal with doctors and staff that are more compassionate and informative than what I experienced at OHSU , it truly is a great experience when coming there!
- Oct 15, 2018
Dr. Mayo is always professional and compassionate. He is what all doctors should be.
- Sep 28, 2018
Dr Mayo and staff are both knowledgeable and kind, I feel like I'm in the best of hands.