Medical Records

We maintain medical records to help serve you and your health care providers, and to meet legal, accrediting and regulatory requirements. Release of information from a medical record must meet legal requirements and OHSU healthcare policy. You, or those who are legally permitted to do so, can request access to your protected health information at any time.

Who can get copies of medical records?

  • Adult patients may ask for copies of their own medical records.
  • Parent or legal guardian may ask for copies of their minor child’s medical records.
  • A person with a legal power of attorney may ask for copies of the medical records of someone named in the power of attorney (for example, wife, husband or partner, a disabled adult).
  • The legal next of kin may ask for copies of a deceased patient’s medical records.

How do I request a copy?

Option 1: You may request your records via MyChart Sharing Hub.

Option 2: Use this form to request access to your own medical records. 

You can submit the completed form:

  • By email to
  • By fax to the Release of Information Team: 503-494-6970.
  • By mail to:
    Health Information Management
    Mail Code OP17a
    3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Rd.
    Portland, OR 97239

If you have any questions, call medical correspondence in the Health Information Services Department at 503-494-8556.

Medical release forms

Use these forms to allow sharing your medical information with another person, such as a family member or attorney.

What does the information mean?

You should always discuss your health information with your doctor. They can help you understand entries and interpret the information on your chart.

How much does it cost?

A fee to cover the cost of copying and postage is charged for copies of medical records. Call medical correspondence at 503-494-8556 for current pricing, and allow 7-10 business days for OHSU to receive your request.

Something doesn't look right. What do I do?

If you think you have a correction to specific information on your record, call medical correspondence at 503-494-6290 . You can talk about your concerns then, and, if needed, request an amendment of health information form. An accepted amendment will be made part of your permanent health record.