Education at OHSU

Basic Needs

Image of sign with words basic needs resources at the top and images of boxes with clothing and groceries

This page includes basic needs resources, including OHSU resources and community-based resources. It is not an exhaustive list. 

For Wellness resources please visit our Wellness page

For more information about Student Health and Wellness and our services, visit the links below. You can also contact us at or call 503-494-8665,

  • OHSU student housing resources
  • OHSU Off-Campus Housing Classifieds is a structured bulletin board for landlords and tenants. Students can look through the rental listings for private housing as well as rooms or shares. Students can also post rooms they have available. (Primarily Portland)
  • Home Forward provides safe, decent, and affordable housing for individuals and families who are challenged by income, disability, or special needs. (Portland)
  • Home Share Oregon is a nonprofit that connects homeowners with extra rooms with those seeking affordable housing. Both parties complete a questionnaire to get matched, and support is available for navigating the process. (All campuses) 
  • Craigslist and Hotpads list many rentals available. (All campuses)
  • 211 Housing & Shelter Resources (All campuses)
  • Multnomah County Affordable/Subsidized housing resources, including links to affordable housing inventory in Multnomah County, Washington County, and Clackamas County. Links to various resources for HUD low-rent apartments.
  • Oregon Rental and Housing Assistance site has affordable housing lists for all of Oregon, housing resources for persons with disabilities, subsidized housing, and housing counseling. (All campuses) 

Utility resources

Please see our food resources page for more information and for information about the Food Resource Center. 

  • OHSU Financial Aid Office is a great place to start if you need additional funds, as they can review your aid eligibility and determine if more funds may be available. Email
  • Resources from specific programs
    • Check with your program administrator (advisor, student affairs dean, coordinator, etc.) about available resources from your program. Some programs do have small amounts of emergency funding available or other supportive resources. 
  • For help with medical bills at OHSU, see "Other Health Resources" tab
  • Community Resources 

OHSU’s Educational Debt Counseling and Financial Management program is devoted to fostering a financially empowered community of students and alumni. They work with you to be proactive in planning for the future or navigating a financial emergency. Access one-on-one counseling sessions and group interactive workshops. 

Contact Janna McKay - Educational Debt Counseling and Financial Management Program Director. 503-494-7872

Resources for understanding:


There are several locations around OHSU for individuals to breastfeed or pump milk. (Portland)

The Outpatient Pharmacy in Physician's Pavilion stocks a number of breastfeeding and pumping supplies, including tubing, valves, connectors, breast milk storage bags, and bottle sets. They are located on the first floor of the Physicians Pavilion Building on Marquam Hill and are open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

View OHSU's breast pump guide for prices and features of different breast pumps.

For more resources on campus, view the Lactation for Pregnant and Parenting Students and Employees (note: some resources are only available for employees)


OHSU Resources

Healthy Starts (ages 0 to pre-k): OHSU students are eligible for priority enrollment and discounted tuition at Healthy Start's Children's Center located at the South Waterfront. Visit the Healthy Starts Children's Center O2 page to learn more.

See the Child Care Resources page for more information

Community Resources

Searching for affordable childcare is difficult and it is hard to know where to start. has several resources to assist you as you navigate child care resources:

Search your state's database of licensed child care providers to find information on background checks, licensing history, and monitoring reports: 

Other helpful community resources

OHSU's CAP supports OHSU employees, students, and residents who have experienced any form of sexual misconduct or interpersonal violence. For more information and resource visits the CAP webpage. 

Contact CAP

CAP confidential advocates are available 24/7 in Portland through Call to Safety and at regional campuses through Confidential Advocates partner. See their contact information below.  Email CAP at

Mental Health Crisis support 

Substance Use Resources

  • Student Health and Wellness provides assessment and referral for treatment of alcohol and other substance abuse issues. Assessment, counseling, and/or referral are confidential and not reported to any persons or licensing boards. 
  • The OHSU Avel Gordly Center for Healing is a multicultural, adult outpatient treatment clinic providing services for substance abuse and mental health via psychiatric evaluation, medication management, and risk reduction training and education. Services include DUI-related programs and treatment of problem gambling. The Avel Gordly Center focuses on diverse populations with special emphasis on the needs of the African American and Asian communities. Read more about the Avel Gordly Center for Healing on the OHSU Psychiatry website
  • Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) meetings. For information regarding meeting sites, days, and times, please call the Portland Area Intergroup's Central Office at 503-223-8569 or visit their website.
  • Oregon Al-Anon/Alateen website has information on meetings and services in all of Oregon. 
  • SAMHSA National Helpline, free, confidential treatment referral and information service: 1-800-662-4357
  • Student Health is a confidential and affordable way to access health services. 
  • OHSU Financial and Medicaid Services
    • If you receive a bill for services done at OHSU that is not covered by your insurance, you can apply for OHSU Financial Assistance by calling 503-494-8505 or visiting the Financial Assistance website
  • Planned Parenthood provides high-quality, affordable health care. You can get health care with or without insurance. 
    • Provides a variety of services, including women's health care, transgender hormone therapy, STD testing & treatment, birth control, HIV services, abortion services, and more. 
    • See their website for more information on appointments and costs. 
  • Multnomah County Primary Care Clinics provide low-cost health care at their 7 clinic locations. They provide care to all Multnomah County residents, including low-income and uninsured residents. 

Dental resources

  • Oregon Oral Health Coalition has a comprehensive list of affordable dental care clinics and organizations across Oregon, including the Portland Metro region, Willamette Valley, Columbia Gorge region, Southern Oregon, Central Oregon, Eastern Oregon, and Southern Coast region. See their website for a list of resources
  • Multnomah County Dental Clinics provides urgent care and other dental services to Medicaid patients with CareOregon Dental and uninsured patients. 

Student Health Insurance Plan

For more information about Student Health Insurance, see the webpage about SHIP!

  • Note that students can access the Student Health and Wellness Center regardless of which insurance they have.

Other health insurance options

Oregon Health Plan (OHP)

  • Learn about OHP benefits here
  • Information about the changes to OHP benefits and eligibility due to the end of the Public Health Emergency (PHE) here
  • Apply for OHP!

CareOregon has helpful information on OHP eligibility and application methods. See their website for more information. 

Health Insurance Marketplace

  • You can search and apply for health insurance coverage on the Marketplace

OHSU resources

Community resources

Legal Services

Housing/Renters Rights

Family Law

  • Oregon Law Help
    • Access answers to legal questions, sample forms, and information about the courts, lawyers, and social service organizations related to family law. 
  • St. Andrew Legal Clinic (SALC) Family Law Services
    • Serve low-income families with family law needs, including adoption, child custody, child support, divorce, domestic violence protection, guardianship, and spousal support. 
  • Oregon Judicial Branch Family Law forms
    • You can access various legal forms and information on how to file these forms. 

Interpersonal Violence

OHSU Resources

Community Resources

  • Dress for Success
    • Provides a network of support, professional attire, and development tools for women
  • 211 Clothing Resources
    • Clothing resources, including clothing vouchers, children's clothing, winter clothing, and work clothing

Program Specific Resources

  • School of Nursing
    • Free recycled scrubs for nursing students on the Portland campus at the Student Lounge on the 3rd floor of the School of Nursing
    • Klamath Falls has free scrubs for nursing students available at the food pantry on campus 
    • La Grande and Ashland campuses also have a supply of recycled scrubs for nursing students 
    • Monmouth campus has recycled scrubs available in the Student Lounge in the Winters Math & Nursing Building 2nd floor. 

Please follow this link for food and basic needs resources at our regional campuses.