Graduation refers to having your degree awarded. Commencement is the ceremony to celebrate your achievement.
Applying to Graduate
To graduate from OHSU, you must submit an Application for Graduation online through Student Self-Service.
Please be aware of the following:
- The application fee is $60 per degree. The fee will be applied to your student account after you submit your application.
- Your graduation application is the only way we know when you will finish your degree requirements! If your plans change, complete this form to move your graduation application to a different term.
- Dual degree students earning their second degree (MD/MPH, MD/PhD) must apply using the online dual degree application form.
- Graduation applications are accepted up to three terms in advance.
Application for Graduation Deadline
The deadline to apply for graduation for a given term is Friday of the fourth week of that term at midnight.
- You are encouraged to apply for graduation in advance of your final term: this deadline is the very last date on which you can apply
- If you have missed the deadline to apply for the current term, apply for the next available term and complete this form to move your application to the current term
- Spring and Summer grads: For your name to be listed in the Commencement program, you must apply to graduate by the Spring graduation deadline (April 26, 2024)
If your plans change, use this form to request to move your graduation application to a different term.
- If you don’t finish your requirements in the term you applied to graduate, please submit the form right away! Otherwise we may cancel your application and you will need to reapply and pay the fee again.
|Graduation Term||Application Deadline|
|Summer (August or September) 2023||July 21, 2023|
|Fall (December) 2023||October 20, 2023|
|Winter (March) 2024||February 02, 2024|
|Spring (June) 2024||April 26, 2024|
Your diploma will be mailed to you 6-8 weeks after the end of the term. Diplomas are mailed to the address on file in Student Self-Service. Please make sure your address is up to date before the last day of the term to ensure proper delivery of your diploma.
The Commencement and Hooding ceremonies provide a joyful occasion for you to celebrate your achievement with your classmates, friends, and family. However these celebrations are primarily symbolic, and your degree has not yet been awarded at the time they occur. Only after all grades have been submitted and we have double-checked that you meet all requirements will your degree be awarded and your diploma printed.
2024 Commencement ceremony: Sunday, June 2
Commencement Participation Policy
You are welcome and invited to participate in the 2024 Commencement if you meet one of the following conditions:
- Your degree or certificate was awarded in Summer 2023 (August or September), Fall 2023 (December), or Winter 2024 (March).
- You will complete your degree or certificate requirements in Spring 2024 (June) have filed an Application for Graduation by the graduation application deadline for Spring term, and have taken all school-specific steps for degree or certificate completion (dissertation defense scheduling, exam scheduling, etc.) by the graduation application deadline for Spring term
- You will complete your degree or certificate requirements in Summer 2024 (August or September).
- You are enrolled in the Medical Laboratory Science, Emergency Medical Services Management, Paramedic Education, Doctor of Physical Therapy, or Doctor of Pharmacy program, will complete your degree requirements by September 30, 2024, and have filed a graduation application (if required) with the partner school by the appropriate deadline.
Hooding Participation Policy
Participation in the Hooding ceremonies is subject to school- and program-specific policies. Please contact your program for information.