School of Medicine Admissions Standards
It is the prerogative of each approved Graduate Studies program to determine programmatic standards for admission*. In addition, an applicant must meet the following School of Medicine minimum requirements for admission to a graduate program:
- A baccalaureate or equivalent degree from a recognized academic institution (accredited U.S., or equivalent foreign institution**). Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended are required, and must include completed coursework, grades received and degree(s) awarded.
- Evidence of thorough training and background in the quantitative sciences including any specific courses required by the Graduate Program to which the applicant is applying.
- A cumulative grade-point average of all undergraduate courses of at least 3.0 (based on a letter grade system of A-4 points, B-3 points, C-2 points, D-1 point, F-0 points), or its equivalent in other grading systems
- Standardized tests are not a requirement for admission to the School of Medicine. However, individual graduate programs may choose to require the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) during admissions. Programs that choose to require the GRE determine their own evaluation and scoring criteria of test scores. It is the applicants responsibility to check with the program(s) they are applying to regarding if the GRE is required. Please request ETS to send official test scores to following institution code: 4865.
- All foreign applicants for whom English is not a native language must take either the Test for English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or English Language Testing System (IELTS). These will only be waived if the applicant has obtained an undergraduate or graduate degree at an accredited college or university in the United States or other native English-speaking country. A waiver may also be requested in cases where there is strong evidence that the applicant is fluent in reading and writing English. OHSU School of Medicine Graduate Studies accepts MyBest scores for the TOEFL test, in addition to TOEFL scores from a single test date. Please request all official test scores to be sent to the following institution code: 4865.
*Individual programs may have additional requirements. It is the applicants responsibility to check directly with the program(s) they are applying to.
**Applicants with foreign degrees are strongly encouraged to obtain a World Education Services International Credential Advantage Package (WES ICAP) course-by-course credential evaluation. The WES ICAP credential evaluation differs from a regular WES evaluation in that it includes verified transcripts; no official foreign transcript needs to be sent to OHSU in addition to the evaluation if the WES ICAP is submitted. Applicants are responsible for the full cost of this service, and are advised to contact the program(s) they are applying for to determine if the WES ICAP is required during the application process. For more information, including how to apply for a WES ICAP, please visit here.
The online application requires uploading UNOFFICIAL transcripts from all colleges and universities attended for the initial review of your admissions file. Transcripts must document coursework completed, grades received and degrees awarded; transcripts must be in English or accompanied by a certified English translation.
OFFICIAL transcripts will be required upon acceptance in order to be matriculated into the program, however, some programs require official transcripts before being accepted; please check directly with the program(s) in which you are applying.
Official transcripts should be submitted to:
OHSU SOM Graduate Admissions
3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Rd L102GS
Portland, OR 97239
Transcripts from Foreign Institutions:
OHSU strongly encourages all applicants with foreign degrees to obtain a World Education Service International Credential Advantage Package (WES ICAP) course-by-course credential evaluation. Please consult WES's website for more information and instructions. Applicants are responsible for the full cost of this service. It is the applicants responsibility to contact the program(s) in which they are applying to determine if the WES ICAP is required during the application process.
How long does it take to get a PhD?
Typically most graduate students finish in 5-6 years. OHSU allows a maximum of seven years to complete a PhD degree.
How long does it take to get a Master's degree?
It depends on the program, but most are designed to be completed in 1-3 years.
Can I apply to more than one graduate program at the same time?
Yes, applications may be submitted for more than one program.
Can my credentials be reviewed before I apply?
We cannot evaluate your records prior to your application. Each program has its own acceptance criteria.
Can I defer admission?
Deferring admission requires approval from both the individual program as well as the Associate Dean for Graduate Studies. Check with each program to discuss their deferral policy.
How can I check on the status of my application? Can you tell me what is missing?
Applicants may review their application status via the Online Application System by logging back into your account.
I took courses at a community college and/or university that did not apply to my degree. Do you need the transcript?
Yes. We require transcripts from ALL colleges and universities attended, regardless if a degree was awarded.
What test scores are needed for the application?
Graduate Record Examination ( GRE) is required for some programs. The Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) and the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) may be accepted in lieu of the GRE for some programs. Please check directly with the program(s) in which you are applying.
What institutional code is used for the GRE?
What are the minimum GRE test scores required by your university?
There is no Graduate Studies minimum GRE score requirement, however, some degree programs have minimums. Please check with the program(s) in which you are applying.
If I take the GRE exam twice, how are the scores evaluated?
Most programs will consider the highest scores, however, all scores will be reviewed by the admission committee and may be used for evaluation.
Is an original GRE required for my application?
Yes, for programs that require the GRE, and the document must come electronically from the ETS testing agency.
Is it possible to have the GRE requirement waived?
Waivers may be granted at the program's discretion if the applicant already holds an advanced degree, such as a Masters or MD, from an accredited US or foreign institution. Please check directly with the program(s) in which you are applying regarding waiver policies.
Is the TOEFL or IELTS required for my application?
All foreign applicants for whom English is not a native language must take the one of these two tests: Test for English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the English Language Testing System (IELTS).
What Institutional code is used for the TOEFL?
What minimum TOEFL score is required?
Please check directly with the program(s) in which you are applying.
If I take the TOEFL exam twice, how are the scores evaluated?
OHSU School of Medicine Graduate Studies accepts MyBest scores for the TOEFL test, in addition to TOEFL scores from a single test date. The most recent scores are used for evaluation.
Can the TOEFL score requirement be waived?
If you have a Bachelor's degree (or higher) from an accredited US Institution, the TOEFL requirement will be waived.
When is the latest I could take the exam(s)?
You should plan to take the test so that scores are reported to the Oregon Health & Science University no later than the program deadline. Check with the testing agency for score report dates.
Have you received my scores?
Please check your application. If your scores do not show as received, they may be in the data entry queue.