Neonatal Resuscitation Program Simulation
An evidence-based training program designed to teach providers the technical, cognitive, and behavioral skills required for optimal management of newborns immediately following birth.
OHSU Doernbecher Children's Hospital offers simulation-based training in neonatal resuscitation. Simulation is an instructional strategy where learners are immersed in realistic scenarios designed to resemble actual experiences. Performance during the scenario is then reviewed with instructors skilled in facilitated debriefing. The comprehensive, simulation-based training in neonatal resuscitation is based on the most recent recommendations put forth by the International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation in conjunction with the American Academy of Pediatrics Neonatal Resuscitation Steering Committee.
About Neonatal Resuscitation at OHSU Doernbecher Children's Hospital
The Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) is an evidence-based training program designed to teach providers the technical, cognitive and behavioral skills required for optimal management of newborns immediately following birth. In addition to teaching the requisite technical skills, our instructors have extensive experience with the principles of Crisis Resource Management (CRM) and focus on the ten behavioral skills recognized by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP).
The AAP strongly promotes knowledge and proficiency in NRP and has developed instructional materials for this purpose. After completing the NRP course, the participant will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Knowledge and application of the 8th edition neonatal resuscitation algorithm
- Effective techniques for assessing and improving the adequacy of ventilation
- An ability to recognize, troubleshoot, and respond to the reversible causes of newborn bradycardia
- Cognitive, psychomotor, and CRM-based behavioral-skills needed for the resuscitation of the compromised newly born infant
Health care staff who may be called to a delivery or to respond to an ill newborn.
NRP no longer differentiates between an initial and a renewal NRP class. The content and areas of focus for each class are tailored to each learner's needs.
- Reviewing the 8th Edition Neonatal Resuscitation textbook. The 8th edition includes the following 11 lessons:
- Foundations of Neonatal Resuscitation
- Preparation for Resuscitation
- Initial Steps of Newborn Care
- Positive‐pressure Ventilation
- Alternative Airways: Endotracheal Tubes and Laryngeal Masks
- Chest Compressions
- Post‐resuscitation Care
- Resuscitation and Stabilization of Babies Born Preterm
- Special Considerations
- Ethics and Care at the End of Life
If you need to purchase a copy, it is available on the AAP NRP website. We also provide you with an electronic copy of the NRP textbook with your course registration 2 weeks prior to your registered class.
- Part 1: Completion of the online examination PRIOR to attending the course. Two weeks before the course, participants will receive an email with instructions on accessing and completing the online examination. After completion of the exam, a Certificate of Completion is generated. Please e-mail a copy of your NRP certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12:00pm the day prior to your instructor-led event.
- Part 2: Attendance of a NRP course (Instructor-Led Event), which contains skills stations, simulation and debriefing. Each class has 2 instructors and 6-9 students.
- Once students are graded by instructors on the NRP online management system, students will be able to fill out an evaluation form for the class and gain access to their NRP eCard.
Participants who complete the online examination, attend class and pass will need to complete the online evaluation in order to gain access to their NRP eCard.
Please Note: NRP course attendance does not guarantee successful course completion and attainment of NRP Provider status. If a participant cannot demonstrate critical skills of neonatal resuscitation during the evaluation component of the course, the learner may repeat a Provider course at full cost at a later date.
We do not provide CME credits for the NRP class. However the AAP offers up to 9 hours of Continuing Education Credit for the online examination for physicians, nurses, respiratory therapists, and emergency medical service professionals.
NRP is an educational program that introduces the concepts and basic skills of neonatal resuscitation. Completion of the program does not imply that an individual has the competence to perform neonatal resuscitation. Each hospital is responsible for determining the level of competence and qualifications required for someone to assume clinical responsibility for neonatal resuscitation.
Class schedule and registration
Course and examination
- $250 for the course and online exam.
- $280 for the course and the online exam, if registered less than 7 days in advance and/or student additions beyond class capacity.
- $200 for a rescheduled Provider course. Learners who do not complete and pass the online exam PRIOR to class will not be able to participate in the instructor-led Provider Course. The Provider course can only be rescheduled by emailing: email@example.com. The fee for the rescheduled instructor-led provider course is $200.00
Note: If you are a new employee at OHSU and classes are filled, please contact NRP at firstname.lastname@example.org for further instructions.
Textbook: Textbook of Neonatal Resuscitation, 8th Edition
An electronic copy is provided when the examination information is sent. Many training programs and hospitals provide a copy of the Textbook of Neonatal Resuscitation, 7th Edition. A textbook can also be purchased from the AAP.
If you are an OHSU employee working on L&D, MBU, or the NICU, and would like a hard copy book, please ask your manager if they have a book available for you to check out.
Cancellation and rescheduling policy
Due to class size limitations and simulation-based structure of the course, registration fees will only be fully refunded for changes made 7 days prior to your scheduled class date. Please do not register for a second class if you find you need to reschedule. Please contact the NRP administrator directly at email@example.com.
Please note that your full registration fee will not be refunded if you fail to attend the course, or request to cancel or reschedule with less than one week's notice prior to the course date. In order to avoid a cancellation fee, please make sure you are available to attend the course before you register. Please do not register for a class that you know you cannot attend.
Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to reschedule or cancel your registration.
Directions and Parking Information for the Simulation Center at the Collaborative Life Sciences Building (CLSB)
The Simulation Center, 4th Floor, SOUTH Tower
The OHSU/OSU Collaborative Life Sciences Building
2730 S.W. Moody Avenue
Take the SOUTH elevators to the 4th floor and turn left off the elevators. The Simulation Center will be the double doors on the left. Signage in the Simulation Center will direct you to the room.
Alternative Travel Solutions
Taking the Tram?
If parking on OHSU Marquam Hill Campus, the tram is an alternative to driving to the CLSB. It can take 30 minutes to get from employee parking to the CLSB via the tram. There is a small fee to ride the up to the Marquam Hill Campus. Patients and their families who have vouchers from their OHSU clinics are able to ride the tram at no cost. OHSU employees are also able to ride the tram at no cost with the presentation of their OHSU badge.
Taking the bus?
Plan a trip using Trimet Public Transportation trip planner.
Taking the shuttle?
OHSU offers daily Campus Shuttle for students and staff between the off-campus locations in Downtown Portland and the Marquam Hill Campus.
Frequently asked questions
What are the steps I need to take to get registered?
- Complete the online Registration Form.
- Receive your Exam and Confirmation email.
- Study the NRP 8th Edition Textbook.
- Take Pre-Requisite Online NRP Exam (email with login information will be sent 2 weeks prior to class date).
- E-mail certificate of completion to email@example.com by 12:00pm prior to your registered Instructor-led event. You will not be able to attend the Instructor-led event without providing exam certificate.
Can people outside OHSU take the class?
Unfortunately, not at this time. Currently we are only able to offer NRP to OHSU/Adventist/HMC employees and students.
Will I receive confirmation?
Yes, you will receive a registration confirmation along with your class time and location. Two weeks prior to your class date, you will receive an e-mail with your login information and directions on taking the online exams as well as a calendar appointment reminder.
If you do not receive enrollment confirmation, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where do I get a NRP 8th Edition book?
- You will be provided access to an electronic copy of the NRP textbook with your class registration 2 weeks prior to your registered class.
- If you are part of MBU/DNCC/L&D at OHSU, and would like a hard copy book please check with your Nurse Manager or borrow one from the OHSU library.
- You can purchase the NRP textbook directly from AAP.
Is my Pre-Requisite Online NRP Exam included in the registration cost?
Yes. Two weeks prior to your class date, you will receive an email with your login information and directions for taking the exam.
How long do you think it will take me to study before I take my Pre-Requisite Online NRP Exam?
Each student is different. If you are unsure, please make sure to allow yourself ample time to study and take the exam.
Can I complete the Pre-Requisite Online NRP Exam after taking the class?
No, the Pre-Requisite Online NRP Exam is required before taking the hands-on class.
What do I do if I fail my test?
Students may repeat the exam until they attain a passing score.
Why does it say I need to wear scrubs?
This is a simulation-based course and the goal is to have it be as realistic as possible.
Where is my class located?
The dates, times and locations are listed on the website under 'Class Schedule'. For information and maps of various OHSU NRP sites, please see the contact us page. For a map of the Marquam Hill buildings/facilities as well as directions to the campus, please see the visit OHSU page.
When will I receive my NRP Card?
The 8th edition NRP eCard can be accessed online once you complete your course evaluation.
What if I didn't receive my card or I lost it?
Your NRP eCard will be saved online in your RQI Partners account and you will have access to print and/or e-mail it.
Other FAQ are available at: http://www2.aap.org/nrp/about_faqs.html