The HSOL program is currently paused and will not be accepting applications at this time. Please check back for program updates soon or email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Our HSOL program features:
- Flexibility through an online curriculum.
- Responsive, supportive faculty.
- Health system and organizational leadership courses based on complexity and quality science.
- Opportunities to work with senior leadership in major health systems.
- Support career advancement for nurse-leaders.
The Health Systems and Organizational Leadership online program prepares nurses for roles in a variety of organizational settings from acute care, to primary care, and community care. Skills gained will allow nurses to lead in formal executive and front-line positions, quality improvement, project management, or other positions where systems-level management and leadership is needed. Nurses will learn about complex dynamic healthcare delivery systems, creating sustainable organizations, how to leverage the legislative and regulatory environment, and steward financial and human resources through effective care delivery models. Complexity and Quality science are central program foci. As a program we are very committed to interprofessional education and practice and seek opportunities for our students to experience this rich environment.
The School of Nursing also offers a pathway from the RNBS completion program to the Health Systems & Organizational Leadership program. This option allows students to pre-identify their graduate area of interest when they enter the RNBS program and enroll seamlessly into the HSOL program directly after completing the baccalaureate nursing degree to achieve the Master of Nursing degree. This option is offered fully online.
*Courses offered as part of the HSOL program may be taken as electives by students in other programs within the university.
HSOL Career Paths
The general competencies that must be met for the master of nursing for the AGACNP, FNP, HSOL, MNE, NA, NMW, PNP and PMHNP programs are:
- Apply advanced knowledge in the science of a specialty area of advanced nursing practice.
- Use emerging information and health technologies to access current research and health care data to improve patient care.
- Make sound, culturally appropriate and ethically grounded clinical judgments based on critical analysis of the best available evidence.
- Demonstrate the leadership skills that are essential for influencing policy and organizational systems for improving patient outcomes.
Graduates of the Health Systems & Organizational Leadership Online Program are prepared to:
- Apply advanced knowledge of nursing and health systems theories to positively impact organizational, care delivery and policy outcomes at a population level.
- Integrate nursing and health systems knowledge in leading and advocating for the design, implementation, and improvement of sustainable person-center practice models.
- Maximize the use of human capital to impact clinical care, quality outcomes, and evidence-based policies within complex adaptive health systems.
- Use information, quality science, and knowledge management tools to make sound and ethical decisions that advance interprofessional and collaborative health services practice.
Watch the HSOL facebook live video!
Q and A with Kelly Rutten (assistant director of admissions) and Health Systems and Organizational Leadership student, Gayle.
We're here to answer any questions you have about the OHSU School of Nursing.