"We are changing the course of nursing science. We want you to change it with us."
Program at a glance
- The Ph.D. is a research-intensive degree to prepare nurse scientists.
- A Ph.D. can be completed in 3-7 years.
- Courses are taught in person on the Portland campus.
- OHSU is a health sciences campus with access to laboratories, clinical populations and research centers.
- See meet our Ph.D. faculty to learn about faculty research expertise.
- Meet our Ph.D. students to learn about their research.
The OHSU School of Nursing PhD program wants you to be a successful scientist. Watch this video to learn more about how to select a research-intensive PhD program where you will thrive.
Dual admissions options
Accelerated Bachelor's to PhD
Earn your bachelor of science with a major in nursing degree in 15 months and transition directly to the PhD in nursing program.
At the end of the PhD program the graduate will be able to:
- Master in-depth knowledge in a substantive area.
- Appreciate the history and philosophy of science.
- Critique and integrate different science perspectives in the conduct of research to generate new ideas.
- Design and conduct original research.
- Participate in interprofessional research.
- Utilize professional and research ethics and judgment in the conduct of research.
- Assume leadership in the conduct of culturally competent scholarship to improve policy and practice.
- Communicate scholarship to multiple audiences including through peer referred publications and presentations.
- Appreciate the components of scholarship: research, teaching, and service to the profession.
- Understand the evolving roles and responsibilities of a nurse scholar.
- Lead in advancing the profession.
- Contribute to the education of future scholars through discovery, teaching, and healing.