Office of Research Development and Support
The Office of Research Development and Support (ORDS) is the School's research support office and the portal through which both submission of grant applications and post-award grants management occur.
ORDS services range from educating faculty about technical aspects of grants, to providing consultation and advice about grant applications, to hands-on activities for successful grant application submissions and post-award management. Consultation with staff is available during all phases of grant development from inception through funding and submission of grant final reports.
Faculty are encouraged to meet with the Senior Associate Dean for Research to discuss research interests, identify potential funding sources, and make plans for proposal writing. The Senior Associate Dean for Research works with faculty to arrange for pre-submission reviews of their proposal. Peer reviews are strongly encouraged so that grant writers benefit from critique early and often in the grant writing process in order to submit applications that will be competitive.
Once a plan for submitting a proposal takes shape, faculty should let ORDS staff know of the intent to submit a grant application so the pre-award process can begin.
ORDS' pre-award services cover many aspects of the research application process. The first contact in ORDS is the Manager of Research and Finance who assigns a Grants/Contracts Coordinator to assist with the application. Some of the support ORDS provides during the pre-award phase includes:
- Interpreting technical aspects of RFAs
- Assisting with budget & subcontract development
- Providing Boiler Plate information about ORDS, the School, and the University
- Information about formatting bio-sketches
- Creation and completion of Forms pages
- Trouble shooting formatting and layout
- Interfacing with OHSU's Office of Proposal & Award Management (OPAM)
- Assembling the application
- When appropriate, submitting the final application
ORDS provides a broad array of post-award support services geared to assuring the smooth running of the budgetary aspects of a grant and adhering to the fiscal policies of the funding agency and the University. Once notification of funding has been received, the Manager of Research and Finance assigns the grant to one of ORDS' Grants/Contracts Coordinators. The Grants/Contracts Coordinator is the primary contact for day-to-day management of the grant budget. Some of the support ORDS provides during the post-award phase includes:
- Advising on University and funding agency policies and procedures
- Assisting with budget implementation
- Assisting with the submission of purchase orders
- Preparing grant related travel authorizations and travel reimbursement
- Billing subcontractors and assuring payments
- Facilitating incentive payment to research subjects
- Reviewing monthly budget statements for accuracy
- Providing monthly budget reports to the principal investigator
Statistical services (stats core)
ORDS' STATS CORE provides consultation about quantitative study designs during proposal development along with data management and statistical analysis at the post-award phase. Post-award support is fee-for-service on funded grants and should be budgeted in the grant application. Generally, the following services are appropriate:
- Research design and methods – brief consultation
- Guidance in writing design and analysis sections for grant proposals
- Advice about analyzing existing data for preliminary studies sections
- Power analysis and sample size determination
- Data management (e.g., setting up data files, data cleaning)
- Evaluating the psychometric adequacy of measures
- Assistance with and/or conducting and interpreting statistical analyses