This commitment event celebrates students' matriculation into the School of Nursing and their initiation into the nursing profession. Health professions schools have long-symbolized this rite of passage at capping or white coat ceremonies. OHSU School of Nursing acknowledges this transition by asking students to take an oath and awarding a pin representing the imperative for humanism and excellence in clinical practice.
This year the OHSU School of Nursing will participate in our own Arnold P Gold Foundation -AACN Ceremony for Nursing on each campus.
According to the American Association of Colleges of Nursing, "Though White Coat Ceremonies have been conducted by medical schools for more than 20 years, the APGF-AACN initiative marks the first time a coordinated effort has been developed to offer similar events at schools of nursing."
This commitment event celebrates students' matriculation into the School of Nursing and their initiation into the nursing profession. Health professions schools have long-symbolized this rite of passage at capping or white coat ceremonies. The OHSU School of Nursing acknowledges this transition by asking students to take an oath and awarding a pin representing the imperative for humanism and excellence in clinical practice.
A total of 290 undergraduate nursing students will participate in these events during September. The ceremony will include new and recently matriculated undergraduate pre-licensure students. The program will include: introduction of the incoming students, receipt of a pin, reciting an oath, and a nurse leader speaker. Each campus will have a ceremony.
"This ceremony promotes the importance of humanistic, patient-centered care;welcomes new students into the profession; and reminds all of us of the privilege and responsibility that comes with being a nurse," says Peggy Wros, senior associate dean for student affairs.
Statewide event dates:
2019 Dates Coming Soon
Nursing students that are entering the School of Nursing's undergraduate, pre-licensure program will participate in a welcoming ceremony including receiving a pin, and will participate in reciting an Oath. Contact your local School of Nursing office for specific event details.
OHSU School of Nursing Commitment to Compassionate Care
As a Nurse dedicated to providing the highest quality care and services, I solemnly pledge that I will:
- Consider the welfare of all people and relief of suffering as my primary concerns;
- Act in a compassionate and trustworthy manner in all aspects of my care;
- Apply my knowledge, experience, and skills to the best of my ability to assure optimal outcomes for all people, including their families and the communities where they live;
- Exercise sound professional judgment while abiding by legal and ethical requirements;
- Accept the lifelong obligation to improve my professional knowledge and competence;
- Promote, advocate for, and strive to protect the health, safety, and rights of all people, including their families and communities.
- Support the School of Nursing's leadership mission and values, including integrity, diversity, collaboration, innovation, and excellence.
- Engage in interprofessional collaborative practice with members of the healthcare team to provide patient-centered care.
With this pledge, I accept the duties and responsibilities that embody the nursing profession. I take this oath voluntarily with the full realization of the responsibility with which I am entrusted by the public.