Education at OHSU

Office for Student Access - Academic Accommodations for Disabilities

OHSU is committed to providing equal access to qualified students who experience a disability in compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended in 2008 (ADAAA).

As defined by the ADA and ADAAA, a person with a disability has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities. Some examples of major life activities include: performing manual tasks, seeing, hearing, sleeping, walking, standing, lifting, bending, speaking, breathing, learning, reading, concentrating, thinking, communicating, and working. A qualified student is a person who meets the academic and technical standards for admission and participation in a particular program of study, with or without reasonable accommodations. 

The Office for Student Access makes determinations and collaborates with academic programs to implement academic adjustments, auxiliary aids and/or program modifications, also known as reasonable accommodations.

Request a confidential consultation regarding disability accommodations

Students who have questions about the accommodation process but do not want to share information with their academic program yet should first schedule a consultation with the Office of Student Access by calling 503-494-0082 or emailing Information shared will be kept as confidential as possible except when disclosure is required by law. Students who want a confidential consultation regarding accommodations should wait to submit the OSA application and/or documentation. Please review the OSA Student Handbook for more information regarding confidentiality. 

Requesting academic accommodations

Students are advised to contact the Office for Student Access as soon as possible to discuss accommodations, which may take time to implement and cannot be applied retroactively. All disability information is kept in accordance with state and federal law.

To request academic accommodations, please complete the steps below:

Program Accommodation Liaisons (PALs)