I see patients at
Address700 S.W. Campus DrivePortland, Oregon 97239
Dr. Irving Shen is a professor in the Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery in the OHSU School of Medicine. He is also chief of pediatric and congenital cardiac surgery at OHSU, and the John C. Hursh Endowed Chair of pediatric cardiac surgery.
Dr. Shen is passionate about research into and improved clinical practice in blood conservation during surgeries on children and adults with congenital heart disease. Improved blood conservation leads to improved outcome following congenital cardiac surgery. He also has special expertise in cerebral blood flow during cardiopulmonary bypass.
He dedicates himself to building trust and developing excellence within the pediatric cardiac surgical team. He believes in training and building effective surgical teams, which lead to better outcomes for patients.
Dr. Shen earned his M.D. degree from OHSU. He completed a residency in general surgery at the University of Washington Health Sciences Center in Seattle and a residency in thoracic surgery at the University of Colorado Health Science Center in Denver. He completed a fellowship in cardiovascular research at the University of Washington.
Dr. Shen dedicates himself to finding a good balance in life for things he enjoys and causes he believes in. Nearly everyday he walks or rides his bike to work - rain or shine. He and his wife, Carmen, live the philosophy of "Leave no trace behind," and of maintaining a small footprint on our environment.
- A.B., 1984, Cornell University
- M.D., 1988, OHSU
- General Surgery, University of Washington Health Sciences Center, Seattle, WA, 1995
- Thoracic Surgery, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, 1999
- Cardiovascular Research, University of Washington, 1993
- National Board of Medical Examiners, 1989
- American Board of Surgery, 1998
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery, 1999
- UNOS Certification for Heart and Lung Transplantation, 2000
- Congenital Cardiac Surgery Subspecialty, 2010
Memberships and associations
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- American College of Surgeons, Fellow
- American College of Cardiology, Fellow
- Western Thoracic Surgical Association
- Congenital Heart Surgeons' Society