Katherine “Kate” Ballard is a pediatric nurse practitioner and instructor of surgery in the Division of Pediatric Surgery at the OHSU School of Medicine. She cares for pediatric patients in both the hospital and clinic setting who undergo general surgical procedures or experience traumatic injuries or serious conditions such as appendicitis, intestinal perforations, biliary and intestinal atresias and others.
Kate enjoys creating relationships with patients and families and helping them navigate the care plan. She takes a team-based, patient- and family-centered approach to care, seeking to understand the patient’s entire picture, address the family’s concerns and answer any questions that arise.
She also has a unique background in geographic information systems (GIS), which allows her to analyze health data from a spatiotemporal perspective. In 2021, she published research on the relationship between Lyme disease and land cover types, which was recognized for its novel approach.
Outside of work, she enjoys legislative advocacy and traveling.
Education and training
- B.S., 2018, University of Oregon, Clark Honors College
- B.S.N., 2019, Oregon Health & Science University
- D.N.P., 2022, Oregon Health & Science University School of Nursing
- Pediatric Nursing Certification Board, Pediatric Acute Care Nurse Practitioner, 2022
- Pediatric Nursing Certification Board, Pediatric Primary Care Nurse Practitioner, 2023
Memberships and associations:
- American Pediatric Surgical Nurses Association
- National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners
- Sigma Theta Tau International, Nursing Honor Society
- American Organization for Nursing Leadership
Before scheduling your appointment, we recommend you contact your insurance company to verify that the OHSU Health location or provider you plan to visit is included in your network. Your insurance company will also be able to inform you of any copayments, co–insurance, or deductibles that will be your responsibility. If you proceed in scheduling an appointment and your health insurance benefits do not participate with OHSU providers, your out of pocket liability may be higher. Visit the billing and insurance section of our site for more information.