The OHSU Knight Cancer Institute provides the region’s highest level of expertise and technology for treating sarcoma. We offer:
- Team-based care, with a wide range of specialists who work together.
- Clinical trials that provide access to promising new treatments.
- Expert surgical skill to preserve limbs and to give you the best outcome possible.
- 3D printing to replace bone removed in surgery.
- Advanced MRI scanning that gives us crucial insights into finding the best treatment.
- National renown in treating patients with GIST, a a rare type of sarcoma.
- A full range of support services for you and your family.
Our sarcoma team is the most experienced in Oregon and among the most experienced on the West Coast.
- We treat many hundreds of sarcoma patients every year.
- We use the most advanced surgical techniques.
- We’re experts in biopsies that require exceptional precision.
- We’re consistently ranked among the nation’s top cancer hospitals by U.S. News & World Report.
- We're leading national trials of new ways to treat sarcoma and have authored dozens of articles about it.
Top minds together
Our surgeons, oncologists, nurses and others work together as a team to coordinate your care.
Nurse navigator: Your nurse navigator can often arrange multiple appointments on one day for your convenience. The team coordinates tests and treatments.
Tumor board meetings: Providers meet each week to go over cases together one by one. They look at scans and test results, then develop treatment recommendations. They take care to consider every option and clinical trial for the best treatment plan possible.
MRI: We use state-of-the-art MRI technology to gather specific data about each tumor. This includes how it’s responding to treatments and how it might respond to chemotherapy or targeted therapy.
Bone replacement: We offer advanced reconstruction options. When bone is removed to treat sarcoma, we can sometimes replace it with bone from another part of the body. Other times, we use advanced joint replacement. In some cases, we can even replace bone with custom 3D-printed implants.
Research and innovation
Sarcoma Lab: Our Sarcoma Lab is dedicated to finding new ways to treat aggressive sarcoma in children, teens and adults. It is one of the projects led by the Center for Experimental Therapeutics.
Clinical trials: We’re leading the way in developing new treatment for sarcoma. Learn more about our clinical trials.
MRI research: Advanced MRI technology is helping improve patient care and better understand sarcoma. Our promising work is being funded by the National Cancer Institute.
Published work: OHSU researchers have published dozens of peer-reviewed papers on sarcoma findings in medical journals.
Early detection: The Knight Cancer Institute is undertaking a major effort to detect cancers earlier, when they’re most curable. The Cancer Early Detection Advanced Research Center, or CEDAR, is bringing together some of the best minds in the world.
Call 503-494-7999 to:
- Request an appointment
- Seek a second opinion
- Ask questions
Knight Cancer Institute, South Waterfront
Center for Health & Healing Building 2
3485 S. Bond Ave.
Portland, OR 97239
Free parking for patients and visitors.
Refer a patient
- Refer your patient to OHSU.
- Call 503-494-4567 to seek provider-to-provider advice.
Kids and teens
Patient education conferences
New hope for osteosarcoma
The cancer kept coming back. So Derek Fadness decided to try an experimental treatment for osteosarcoma. The results were extraordinary.