Dr. Mithran Sukumar is an associate professor of surgery in the Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery in the OHSU School of Medicine. He performs surgery on all areas of the chest except the heart. He specializes in surgeries for lung and esophageal cancer and in minimally invasive surgery for these conditions.
Dr. Sukumar earned his M.B.B.S. degree from the University of Madras in Chennai, India. He completed a residency in general surgery at the New York Hospital Medical Center of Queens and the New York Flushing Hospital Medical Center. He completed a fellowship in surgical critical care at North Shore University Hospital Manhasset in Long Island, N.Y. He also completed a fellowship in thoracic surgery at OHSU.
Education and training
- M.B.B.S., 1989, University of Madras
- General Surgery, The New York Hospital Medical Center of Queens and The New York Flushing Hospital Medical Center, 1999
- Surgical Critical Care, North Shore University Hospital Manhasset, Long Island, NY, 1999
- Thoracic Surgery, OHSU, Portland, OR, 2001
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery, 2002; recertified 2011
- American Board of Surgery, 2000; recertified 2011
Memberships and associations:
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- American Thoracic Society
- American College of Surgeons, Fellow
- American College of Chest Physicians
- General Thoracic Surgery Club
- Association of VA Surgeons
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Fellow
Before scheduling your appointment, we recommend you contact your insurance company to verify that the OHSU Health location or provider you plan to visit is included in your network. Your insurance company will also be able to inform you of any copayments, co–insurance, or deductibles that will be your responsibility. If you proceed in scheduling an appointment and your health insurance benefits do not participate with OHSU providers, your out of pocket liability may be higher. Visit the billing and insurance section of our site for more information.