Locations and contactI see patients at
Dr. Philbert Van joined OHSU as an Assistant Professor of Surgery in 2013. He completed his undergraduate and medical education in Pennsylvania at Carnegie Mellon University and Drexel University College of Medicine. After receiving his medical degree, Dr. Van returned to the west coast for general surgery residency training at OHSU. During his residency, Dr. Van spent two years at the Trauma Research Institute of Oregon at OHSU focusing on deep venous thrombosis prophylaxis, fluid resuscitation, and coagulation research. After completing his general surgery training, Dr. Van chose to stay at OHSU for fellowship training in surgical critical care. He is certified by the American Board of Surgery in both Surgery and Surgical Critical Care.
Dr. Van also serves as a general surgeon in the United States Army Reserve, Medical Corps. He was deployed with a Forward Surgical Team to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom in 2014 and Operation Freedom’s Sentinel in 2016 and 2019.
Education and training
- M.D., 2005, Drexel University College of Medicine
- General Surgery, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 2005-2006
- General Surgery, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 2006-2012
- Surgical Research, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 2008-2010
- Surgical Critical Care, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 2012-2013
- American Board of Surgery, Surgery, 2015
- American Board of Surgery, Surgical Critical Care, 2015
Memberships and associations:
- American College of Surgeons, Fellow
- Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma
- Pacific Coast Surgical Association
- North Pacific Surgical Association
- Portland Surgical Society
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- American Association for the Surgery of Trauma, Fellow
Before scheduling your appointment, we recommend you contact your insurance company to verify that the OHSU Health location or provider you plan to visit is included in your network. Your insurance company will also be able to inform you of any copayments, co–insurance, or deductibles that will be your responsibility. If you proceed in scheduling an appointment and your health insurance benefits do not participate with OHSU providers, your out of pocket liability may be higher. Visit the billing and insurance section of our site for more information.