I see patients at
Address700 S.W. Campus DrivePortland, Oregon 97239
Before scheduling your appointment, we recommend you contact your insurance company to verify that the OHSU Health location or provider you plan to visit is included in your network. Your insurance company will also be able to inform you of any copayments, co–insurance, or deductibles that will be your responsibility. If you proceed in scheduling an appointment and your health insurance benefits do not participate with OHSU providers, your out of pocket liability may be higher. Visit the billing and insurance section of our site for more information.
Dr. Mubeen A. Jafri is a pediatric surgeon and an associate professor of surgery and head of the Division of Pediatric Surgery in the OHSU School of Medicine.
He has special research expertise in biliary atresia, the most common cause of liver failure requiring transplant in children. His care of these special children — who usually require surgery in the first few months of their lives — has given him an understanding of the role of pediatric surgery in the care of the most fragile patients.
Pediatric surgery involves long-term care of patients, making it different from many other surgery fields. This results in special relationships between surgeons, children and families. Dr. Jafri treasures developing these bonds. He believes caring for children involves patience and believes every family should be treated individually and with respect.
Dr. Jafri earned his M.D. degree from Eastern Virginia Medical School and completed his residency in general surgery at the University of Cincinnati Department of Surgery. He completed a fellowship in pediatric surgery research and a fellowship in pediatric surgery, both at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital.
When he's not working, Dr. Jafri, his wife and their three children enjoy discovering the beautiful Pacific Northwest.
- B.S., 1999, Old Dominion University
- M.D., 2002, Eastern Virginia Medical School
- General Surgery, University of Cincinnati Department of Surgery, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2002-2009
- Pediatric Surgery Research Fellowship, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2005-2007
- Pediatric Surgery, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2009-2011
- American Board of Surgery, General Surgery, 2010
- American Board of Surgery, Pediatric Surgery, 2013
Memberships and associations
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American College of Surgeons
- North Pacific Surgical Association
- American Pediatric Surgical Association
- Pediatric Trauma Society
- International Society for Organ Donation and Procurement
- Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons
- American Medical Association