The OHSU Knight Cancer Network represents a collaboration of select community hospitals and oncology programs in the Pacific Northwest working with OHSU Knight Cancer Institute to end cancer as we know it. The Network delivers cancer prevention, clinical care, and clinical research services targeted to the specific needs and risks of each member community.
COVID-19: Staying well while staying at home
A guide for cancer patients, caregivers, and family members
Our goals are to reduce cancer risks and improve cancer outcomes.
The Network leverages the strengths of community cancer programs and combines it with expertise from OHSU’s Knight Cancer Institute, a National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer program. OHSU provides the tools and expertise to help your local doctors care for cancer patients locally when possible, implement evidence-based cancer prevention programs, and expand patient access to clinical trials.
Service offerings are determined after a formal review of clinical programs and a community cancer needs assessment. The community needs assessment may be used to meet your CoC requirements.
Examples of potential service offering include:
Cancer Prevention and Control
- Community Needs Assessment summarizing cancer risks in each community
- Cancer prevention programs such as HPV vaccine awareness; smoking cessation; and nutrition education
- Technical assistance in study design and evaluation for community or ambulatory care-based projects
- Joint cancer screening events or programs, such as low-dose CT lung cancer screening
- Coordination of a local community clinical advisory board, representing primary care and oncology providers
- Continuing Medical Education (CME) aligned with our joint initiatives
- Physician and staff education in your community
- Educational shadowing experiences
- Joint community cancer education program in the member’s community
- Annual Network Symposium at the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute
- Cancer program development
- Community-based cancer prevention and survivorship programs
- Peer-to-peer consultation
- Expert clinical and operational consultation
- Telemedicine consult visits
- Remote tumor board participation or referral of patients to tumor board
- Molecular tumor board
- Development of cancer-specific quality improvement dashboards
- Research development and access to clinical trials
- Concierge access to Knight Cancer Network liaison
- Clinical services, such as RN competency modules, policies and procedures, shadow experiences for pharmacists, radiation therapists and nurses
- Telemedicine consults
- Contracted cancer registry services, including cancer program support
- OHSU brand use
Patients have access to the latest, most up-to-date treatments, minimizing travel outside the area. If care is not available locally, our network hospitals may work with us to ensure patients receive the best care possible.
Families and caregivers
When treatment is available locally, such as through Telemedicine, families can spend more time with their loved ones and less time and resources traveling.
Local doctors and providers
We work with your local hospital, primary care or referring doctor to coordinate cancer care before, during and after treatment. Should patients need cancer treatment in Portland, our team of nurses, researchers, care coordinators and the Network liaison work together to create smooth transitions in care.
Network members and OHSU Knight Cancer jointly host local activities, such as health fairs, provider education programs, and cancer screening events. Working together to prevent cancer and detect cancer as early as possible are top priorities.
Participation in the Network allows your community cancer program to tap into OHSU’s broad experience and expertise, and take advantage of access to the leading cancer physicians, researchers, and educators in our region. Network participation provides collaborative opportunities in clinical care, research cancer prevention and program development.
The way to begin a conversation about option and opportunities for collaboration is simple: contact us. Let’s work together to harness our knowledge and put it to work for the people we serve. Together, we can end cancer as we know it.