I see patients at
Address3161 SW Pavilion LoopPortland, Oregon 97239
Dr. Matthias Merkel is a Professor in the Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine. He is the Sr. Associate Chief Medical Officer responsible for capacity management and patient flow across OHSU Health.
Dr. Merkel joined the OHSU faculty in April 2004. His clinical and research interests focus on capacity management, patient safety and quality, emphasizing the importance of a systematic team approach and standardization of our care models in the perioperative period and in critical care. He has completed special training in LEAN methodology, mentoring, and leadership.
Prior to assuming his current leadership roles, he studied mechanisms of induced cardio protection and related gender differences in the department’s translational laboratories. Dr. Merkel earned his M.D. and Ph.D. from the Ludwig Maximilian University in Munich, Germany, where he then pursued advanced training in anesthesiology and critical care medicine. During this time, he conducted clinical research and investigated the use of inhaled vasodilators in acute respiratory distress syndrome and acute right heart failure. He also served as an emergency physician in the German emergency medicine system, providing ground and air rescue.
- M.D., 1997, Ludwig-Maximilians-University
- Ph.D., 1999, Ludwig-Maximilians-University
- Anesthesiology at Clinic for Anesthesiology & Intensive Care Medicine, LMU Munich, Germany
- Anesthesiology Critical Care at Clinic for Anesthesiology & Intensive Care Medicine, LMU Munich, Germany
Memberships and associations
- Association of University Anesthesiologists AUA
- Society of Critical Care Anesthesiologist SOCCA
- American Society of Anesthesiologists ASA
- International Anesthesia Research Society IARS
- Society of Critical Care Medicine SCCM
- Oregon Society of Anesthesiologists OSA