OHSU is Portland's most popular biking destination. Below are resources to assist with your journey from finding a bike, trip planning, to parking, to earning rewards.
Don't own a bike? Want to upgrade or the flexibility of simply grabbing a bike when and where you need it? Here are some options.
Bike share: Biketown is Portland's bike share system, providing 1,000 electric-assist bikes for one way or roundtrip commuting around the city.
Purchasing a bike: Every kind of bike travels to OHSU each day. Commuter bikes, in particular, are designed for casual urban commutes. E-bikes can assist with riding uphill, long distances and hauling kids and cargo. See the Bicycling.com buyer's guide.
OHSU provides subsidies for qualified purchase of a bike with an OHSU badge.
MyCommute members biking for work and education:
- Test ride an electric bike on campus: At Go By Bike's shop at South Waterfront, test ride a bike from one of our partner shops. You can even ride it home. Call 971-271-9270 to check on current inventory. The showroom is open weekdays, 7:30am to 6:30pm.
- Borrow an OHSU bike for up to 30 days. The MyCommute Loaner Bike Program includes a bike in your size, equipment, guidance and resources for purchasing a bike at the end of the loan.
Oregon definitions of devices permitted in bike lanes and paths.
The Tram makes biking to Portland's highest campus no sweat.
TriMet has a trip planner that allows you to: plan your safest, fastest, or flattest route; pair biking with transit; and incorporate bike share.
Biking to work or education? Request a custom OHSU trip plan that includes biking compared to other modes, turn by turn directions, and OHSU-specific resources.
City of Portland has a guide to local laws and safe practices.
A few strategies greatly reduce the chance of being targeted for theft. A rapid response aids recovery.
If you an OHSU login, you may be eligible for cash incentives to bike via MyCommute . Rewards and challenges are announced through the year.
In addition to the above resources,
- Mechanics with Go By Bike are happy to provide practical advice on finding a bike that matches your priorities and budget as well as DIY self repair and maintenance.
- Program coordinators with OHSU can answer questions about campus, facilities, incentives and more.
- Request a trip plan for turn by turn directions, ETA, related resources and much more.
A printable brochure of practical tips specific to riding to OHSU including campus resources and local guidance on stop signs, lights, sidewalks and more.
While transportation services are modified for the COVID-19 response, please check for the latest on operations, products and services.
BikePortland - "The single most iconic symbol of Portland's bike culture."
Boston Globe - “The right prescription for city cycling.”
Bicycle Transportation Alliance - “A successful, relatively cost-effective incentive program that has produced real results.”
League of American Bicyclists - “A remarkable commitment to bicycling.”
Bike More Challenge - "Most BMC miles biked by any organization ever."
League of American Bicyclists: Platinum-level Bicycle Friendly Business
National Center for Transit Research: Designated Best Workplaces for Commuters
Portland Business Journal: Innovation in Sustainability Award