"As a medical community, we must speak out and break the stronghold of racial injustices that continue to plague our country."
- Daniel Tshala, Medical student in the OHSU School of Medicine, June 29, 2020
(This video was created during Daniel Tshala’s first year of medical school in the OHSU School of Medicine)
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The Department of Neurological Surgery is a safe, respectful and welcoming place for people of all races, cultures, ethnicities, genders, national origins, abilities, ages, colors, religions, and sexual orientations. We are committed to learning, promoting inclusion, and working to abolish inequities in our workplace here at OHSU, in our region, in our nation, and in our world.
Read more about the department mission and vision here.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Initiatives
Diversity Action Plan
The department diversity action plan is intended to guide our efforts alongside the broader OHSU Diversity Action Plan. The Department of Neurological Surgery action plan includes strategies in four areas: recruitment, retention, inclusion and partnerships. Some early successes of this plan include:
- Nearly 100% of department members have completed institutional Unconscious Bias Training.
- Diversity and equity topics are imbedded in the annual education curriculum.
- Leaders across the department have impacted national equity work using platforms such as the Congress of Neurological Surgeons, ASPET, and ACCESS
In The News
- Richie, E.A., Nugent, J.G., Raslan, A.M. (2021). Racial and Ethnic Inequities in Mortality During Hospitalization for Traumatic Brain Injury: A Call to Action. medRxiv 2021.04.06.21254905. PMC pending.
- Segarra, V.A., Vega, L., Primus, A., Etson, C., Guillory, A., Edwards, A., Flores, S.C., Fry, C., Ingram, S.L., Lawson, M., McGee, R., Paxson, S., Phelan, L., Suggs, K., Vuong, E., Hammonds-Odie, L., Leibowitz, M.J., Zavala, M., Lujan, J.L., Ramirez-Alvarado, M. (2020). Scientific Societies Fostering Inclusive Scientific Environments through Travel Awards: Current Practices and Recommendations. Cell Biology Education: Life Sciences Education, 2020 Jun;19(2):es3.doi: 10.1187/cbe.19-11-0262. PMC pending.
- Womack, V.Y., Thakore, B.K., Wood, C.V., Jewett, D. C., Jones, R.F., Ingram, S.L., Clark, J.A., Fry, C.L., Wecker, L., McGee, R. (2020). The ASPET Mentoring Network: Enhancing Diversity and Inclusion through Career Coaching Groups within a Scientific Society. CBE—Life Sciences Education, Vol. 19(3):1-15. PMC pending.