The Campagna Scholarship
A 10-Week Summer Research Scholarship available for United States medical students intending a career in neurological surgery.
The Campagna Scholarship was endowed in 2006 by leading Oregon neurosurgeon Dr. Mario Campagna and his wife, Edith. The scholarship supports a 10-week summer semester of research under the supervision of a neurosurgical mentor at Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) and residence expenses in Portland, Oregon. Students in the first or second year of study at an accredited U.S. medical school are eligible to apply. One scholar will be selected annually.
Campagna scholars will receive $5,000 for support of travel to and living expenses in Portland. Scholars are eligible for up to $2,500 additional award to support travel to a national neurosurgical meeting to present the results of their research project, under the supervision of their mentor. The OHSU neurosurgical faculty mentor also receives up to $2,500 to cover research expenses.
Medical students with a serious interest in neurological surgery are encouraged to apply. In crafting their application proposals, applicants are invited to review the clinical and scientific interests of potential research mentors in the OHSU Department of Neurological Surgery. Proposals will be used to evaluate your promise as an applicant.
Instructions to Applicant
- Applications require:
- a one-page (600 word limit) essay (The proposal you submit will be used to evaluate your promise as an applicant. Proposals that are submitted with a desire to carry out research at OHSU with available faculty in our department are welcome, but are not required or preferred to other proposals in the selection process). Do not contact individual faculty members before selection for proposal assistance. This is an example essay,
- a curriculum vitae,
- two letters of recommendation,
- a Dean’s letter,
- the Campagna Scholarship application form
- Applications are due February 2020.
- Awards notifications will take place by March 2020.
- Confirmation of award acceptance by the successful applicant is due March 2020
- Please direct questions to the OHSU Neurological Surgery Educational Coordinator at 503-494-6207 or at firstname.lastname@example.org