The Campagna Scholarship
A 10-Week Summer Research Scholarship available for United States medical students intending a career in neurological surgery.
The Campagna Scholarship was endowed in 2006 by leading Oregon neurosurgeon Dr. Mario Campagna and his wife, Edith. The scholarship supports a 10-week summer semester of research under the supervision of a neurosurgical mentor at Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) and residence expenses in Portland, Oregon. Students in the first or second year of study at an accredited U.S. medical school are eligible to apply. One scholar will be selected annually.
Campagna scholars will receive $5,000 for support of travel to and living expenses in Portland. Scholars are eligible for up to $2,500 additional award to support travel to a national neurosurgical meeting to present the results of their research project, under the supervision of their mentor. The OHSU neurosurgical faculty mentor also receives up to $2,500 to cover research expenses.
Medical students with a serious interest in neurological surgery are encouraged to apply. In crafting their application proposals, applicants are invited to review the clinical and scientific interests of potential research mentors in the OHSU Department of Neurological Surgery. Proposals will be used to evaluate your promise as an applicant.
Instructions to Applicant
Please note OHSU's Covid-19 Immunization Policy when applying: Persons newly employed, admitted, enrolling in courses, contracted, visiting or volunteering (1) must be fully vaccinated or obtain an approved exception prior their start date or matriculation; and (2) must provide proof of full vaccination or an approved exception within 10 business days of start date or matriculation.
- A one-page (600 word limit) essay. Briefly summarize:
- Why you would like to pursue a career in neurological surgery (100 word limit)
- Any scientific and/or research experience to date; state results, if any, of your research experience and list any publications (150 word limit). Do not list academic courses here. Prior research experience is not an absolute requirement for an application.
- A neurosurgical problem; why you think it is important, how you propose to investigate, what you think might be found, and the significance of the problem (350 words limit). This is NOT a proposal for research to be carried out at OHSU; your summary of a neurosurgical problem will only be used to evaluate your promise as an applicant.
- This is an example essay
- Curriculum vitae
- Two letters of recommendation
- Current medical school transcript
- Letter of good standing from your Dean's office, Registrar, or equivalent
- The Campagna Scholarship Application Packet & Signature Page (see below)
- APPLICATION ACCEPTANCE HAS CLOSED FOR 2023.
- PLEASE NOTE: The first 30 COMPLETE applications to be received will be considered for this opportunity. We will post a notice here when that cap has been reached.
- If the above cap is not reached, the deadline for all application materials to be received is January 18, 2023. Please consider applying for 2024 if you missed this year's application period.
- Awards notifications will take place by February 24, 2023.
- Confirmation of award acceptance by the successful applicant is due March 10, 2023.
- Please direct questions to the OHSU Neurological Surgery Educational Coordinator at 503-494-6207 or at email@example.com
The 2023 Campagna Application Packet is available here: 2023 Campagna Application Packet