We are about finding common ground
The OHSU School of Medicine is deeply committed to increasing and supporting diversity among our faculty, staff, and learners. We consider a wide range of life experiences as part of diversity, including rural heritage, economic background, sexual orientation, culture and belief systems, and hardships accessing educational opportunities.
The School of Medicine Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Anti-Racism Strategic Action Plan 2021 - 2025 charts our contributions to institutional goals in the areas that we can significantly impact, including retention and recruitment of individuals under-represented in medicine and biomedical science. The strategic action plan is the result of sustained urgency and focus by school leaders and the SoM Diversity Affairs Committee, which includes faculty, students and trainees.
Welcome UME diversity navigators!
SOM Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Anti-Racism Strategic Action Plan 2021-2025
Respectful & identity-affirming language puts our humanity at the center
Inclusive language allows everyone to feel recognized, valued, invited and motivated to contribute at their highest level. The OHSU Inclusive Language Guide provides guidance.
- Children's Eye Health Safety Month
- National Immunization Awareness Month
- National Minority Donor Awareness Month
- National Breastfeeding Month
- Aug. 1-5 | National Farmer's Market Week
- Aug. 9 | International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples
- Aug. 13 | International Lefthanders' Day
You can download the School of Medicine's August "Belong, Include, Empower" newsletter. We hope to enrich our knowledge and advance our understanding of diversity, equity and inclusion and anti-racism. Missed a previous issue? February, March, April, May, June , July
Upcoming events & webinars
- Aug. 4 | Tackling the Digital Divide: AAMC's Strategies to Improve Telehealth Access and Equity
- Aug. 6 | Guelaguetza en Oregon
- Aug. 6 | API ERG Summer Social
- Aug. 11 | Indigenous Languages: landscape in Latin America and the North West
- Aug. 14 | India Festival
- Aug. 16 | Tribal Health Equity Summit
- Aug. 17 | Why should I think about joining a clinical trial?
- Aug. 18 | Using Inclusive Language in Scholarly Writing
- Aug. 21 | Festa Italiana
- Aug. 24 | Understanding and Addressing Sexual Harassment in Academic Medicine
- Aug. 28 | Portland Middle East Festival
- Sep. 14-16 | 2022 HRSA Region 10 Health Equity Conference
- COVID-19 vaccine now available for children younger than 5
- Vacuna contra el COVID-19 disponible para niños menores de 5 años
- PCC, partners vaccinate thousands to battle COVID-19 and bridge equity gaps
- COVID-19 vaccine now available for children 5 and older
- Learn how information from OHSU's School of Medicine Dr. Donn Spight helped a Portland woman decide to get vaccinated
- Community COVID-19 vaccine clinics offered throughout Portland metro area
- Tribally directed videos inform, empower, celebrate, foster resilience amid COVID-19
- Meeting people where they are at