We are about finding common ground
The OHSU School of Medicine is deeply committed to increasing and supporting diversity among our faculty, staff, and learners. We consider a wide range of life experiences as part of diversity, including rural heritage, economic background, sexual orientation, culture and belief systems.
The School of Medicine Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Anti-Racism Strategic Action Plan 2021 - 2025 charts our contributions to institutional goals in the areas that we can significantly impact, including retention and recruitment of individuals under-represented in medicine and biomedical science. The strategic action plan is the result of sustained urgency and focus by school leaders and the SoM Diversity Affairs Committee, which includes faculty, students and trainees.
Join us on Friday, March 1 at noon
This event is sponsored by the School of Medicine's Faculty Development Office and the school's Office of Diversity and Inclusion.
Conference celebrates exemplary individuals who support the success of women and gender-diverse individuals
Awards were presented in the following categories: Mentoring, Discovery in Science, Professional In-Training, Emerging Leader and Clinical Excellence.
OHSU Mobile Health Coalition brings care to communities
OHSU students, staff and faculty provided services such as vision exams, mammograms, cancer screenings, mental health consultations, dental care, blood pressure, diabetes and cholesterol screenings to 200 people at no charge.
- Women's History Month
- Developmental Disabilities Month
- Irish-American Heritage Month
- March 1 | Zero Discrimination Day
- March 3 | World Hearing Day
- March 12| National Working Mom's Day
- March 18 | Neurodiversity Celebration Week
- March 31 | International Transgender Day of Visibility
- March 31 |Cesar Chavez Day
Download the School of Medicine's "Belong, Include, Empower" March newsletter.
Upcoming events & webinars
- March 1 | The Pathway to Transformative Education: Connecting Relationships with Our Students
- March 2 | A Day in the Life of an OHSU Student
- March 12 | Health Care and Homes for All: How Houselessness Impacts Health
- March 14 | Structural and Interpersonal Barriers to Accessing Health Services for Latino Populations
- March 21 | Enhancing Productivity in Population Health Science
- March 22 | Retention Summit for GME
DEI News in the School of Medicine
Noticias en Español
- Un estudio de OHSU realza las desigualdades de los resultados de salud mental entre inmigrantes antes y después del nacimiento
- Programa de capacitación ayuda a personas en Portland a encontrar carreras nuevas en atención médica
- Equipos de OHSU diagnostican y tratan a un niño pequeño con una afección misteriosa y potencialmente mortal
- OHSU optimiza el tratamiento sin incisiones para los temblores involuntarios y capacita a cirujanos de todo el país
Respectful and identity-affirming language puts our humanity at the center
Inclusive language allows everyone to feel recognized valued, invited and motivated to contribute at their highest level. The OHSU Inclusive Language Guide provides guidance.
SoM Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Anti-Racism Plan 2021-2025
The School of Medicine plan includes three goals with overarching themes that capture the essence of the climate we want to create: Belong, Include, Empower.
School of Medicine M.D. Program: Outdated Medical Terminology Guide
A guide for medical students, educators and providers. Authored by Med24 students Rohi Gheewala, José Manuel Carrillo-Castro and Sean Bowden. Download it here.
The School of Medicine's "Belong, Include, Empower” newsletter is sent monthly to members of the OHSU's School of Medicine. This space is dedicated to the valuable role of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Anti-racism practices in promoting trust, engagement and well-being. Are you looking to share an idea, resource, update or event? Submit your content ideas to email@example.com
- Is this content related to equity, diversity, inclusion and anti-racism?
- Is this content directly applicable to School of Medicine students, staff, and faculty at OHSU?
- Is it timely enough to have an impact on learners, staff, faculty and volunteers?
- Does it align with OHSU’s SoM values and aspirations around equity & inclusion?
- Does it support community building and knowledge exchange?
- Days of significance, observations, and building cultural enrichment.
- Health Equity and inclusion reports, funding opportunities and diversity best practices?
- Achievements aligned with the SoM DEI Plan
- Content must be submitted two weeks prior to the publishing deadline. The newsletter is published the 1st of each month.
- Please include a headline, a brief summary (40-50 words) and an image that reflects the nature of the event.
- Photos must be accompanied by signed release forms.