A blanketing ceremony in Portland, OR, closed out the 2020-2021 Wy’east Postbaccalaureate Pathway program for American Indian and Alaska Native students headed to medical school. (Photo courtesy by: Paige Morris).
We are about finding common ground
The OHSU School of Medicine is deeply committed to increasing and supporting diversity among our faculty, staff, and learners. We consider a wide range of life experiences as part of diversity, including rural heritage, economic background, sexual orientation, culture and belief systems, and hardships accessing educational opportunities.
The School of Medicine Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Anti-Racism Strategic Action Plan 2021 - 2025 charts our contributions to institutional goals in the areas that we can significantly impact, including retention and recruitment of individuals under-represented in medicine and biomedical science. The strategic action plan is the result of sustained urgency and focus by school leaders and the SoM Diversity Affairs Committee, which includes faculty, students and trainees.
SOM Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Anti-Racism Strategic Action Plan 2021-2025
Respectful & identity-affirming language puts our humanity at the center
Inclusive language allows everyone to feel recognized, valued, invited and motivated to contribute at their highest level. The OHSU Inclusive Language Guide provides guidance.
- Native American, Indigenous & Alaska Native Heritage Month
- American Diabetes Month
- Nov. 1 -2 | Dia de los Muertos
- Nov. 3 | Our Indigenous Culture, Roots and Celebration of Life. Dia de los Muertos (virtual celebration)
- Nov. 4 | Diwali
- Nov. 11 | Veterans Day
- Nov. 13 | World Kindness Day
- Nov. 16 | Got Questions about the COVID-19 Vaccine for Kids? Listen to Dr. Allison Empey (Confederate Tribes of Grand Ronde)
- Nov. 18 | National Rural Health Day
- Nov. 28 | Hanukkah
- Nov. 30 | Extended deadline: M.D. Diversity Mentorship Program to receive mentee applications
- COVID-19 vaccine now available for children 5 and older
- Learn how information from OHSU's School of Medicine Dr. Donn Spight helped a Portland woman decide to get vaccinated
- Community COVID-19 vaccine clinics offered throughout Portland metro area
- Tribally directed videos inform, empower, celebrate, foster resilience amid COVID-19
- Meeting people where they are at