The Teaching & Mentoring Academy at , Stanford School of Medicine, in collaboration with the Clinical Teaching Seminar Series, is pleased to announce the 4th Annual Education Day/SIMEC V conference, Teaching Matters: Collaborating, Belonging, Inspiring. They will b hosting a wide array of interactive sessions in medical and bioscience education, including a line-up of workshops and plenaries focused on enhancing teaching and mentoring skills, along with inspiring presentations of educational scholarship.
Saturday, October 3, 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. via Zoom
Registration is free
- Create course content for all learners with accessibility guidelines and principles of Universal Design for Learning. ARC informs on the whys and hows of inclusive course design, with step-by-step instructions for creating accessible digital course content in Sakai, including documents.
- MedEdPORTAL®, the open-access journal of the AAMC, has created a collection of resources to provide educators with practice-based, peer-reviewed content to teach anti-racist knowledge and clinical skills and elevate the educational scholarship of anti-racist curricula. The new resources will support a community of collaborators dedicated to the elimination of racism in medical education.
- Grand rounds focuses on a wide array of education related topics. Join the live session or view archived presentations.
- Time: Occurs the first Wednesday of the month, with a hiatus in the summer months.
Cost: Free, no registration required
- This initiative intends to develop the learning environment to improve engagement, achievement, and motivation. As Conway et al explain, "Students are motivated to learn in positive environments and when they feel respected" (2011). Educators need to understand their learners' diverse cultural identity and use it to enrich everyone's education.
- Cost: Free to OHSU faculty, students and staff.
- The Teaching and Learning Center, part of the Provost Office's Office of Educational Improvement and Innovation, partners with faculty, students and colleagues to create meaningful, innovative and evidence-based learning experiences across OHSU. They are available for on-demand training and consultations for individuals and groups on topics such as curriculum mapping, program and course evaluation, writing learning objectives, active learning strategies, Sakai course support, Audience Response System and much more.
- Time: The TLC staff hosts a number of sessions ranging in length from 15 to 60 minutes.
- Cost: Free. Contact TLC with questions, or to request services.
- Join colleagues for presentations and discussions showcasing innovation in education at OHSU. The program theme for 2020 is, "Transformational Education".
- Date: Friday, May 15, 2020 from 8:15 a.m. - 5:15 p.m.
- Cost: Free for those who teach, support or are OHSU learners. Sign up to be notified when registration opens.
- Assessment Academy, hosted by the Teaching and Learning Center, is a workshop series intended to provide opportunities for participants to improve practice-based learning skills through participation in effective educational activities that promote lifelong learning.
- Workshops are delivered on request. View the list of topics, and reach out to the TLC to request a session.
- This resource collection was built in response to the COVID-19 pandemic’s significant impact on the teaching and learning of health professionals. Designed by diverse educators, this working collection features clinical learning experiences, which can be readily used or easily adapted for specific, local settings, without the need for physical patient contact.
- When you are ready to showcase some of your education expertise, Education Grand Rounds can be an excellent venue to share that expertise with colleagues, while earning some teaching and scholarship experience for your Educator's Portfolio. Contact the Educators' Collaborative for details.
- Beyond hosting Education Grand Rounds, the Educator's Collaborative is a community of practice for those interested in education, including direct teaching, innovation, scholarship, curriculum design and mentoring. Join the collaborative to connect with like-minded educators and to improve your skills. Membership is open to faculty, staff, trainees and students, as well as those who teach trainees, in every school across and beyond OHSU.
- Developed by the Teaching and Learning Center, this non-credit teacher training program is for graduate students and post-doctoral scholars. TFF supports the development of teaching skills through workshops, teaching observation and coaching, teaching with technology, and facilitated peer discussions.
- Current faculty who are interested in helping or advising students should contact the TLC to become an ally of the program.
- A new academic year means new Train Your Brain topics. Train Your Brain, offered by the OHSU Teaching and Learning Center, is a series of interactive workshops led by education experts. Sessions are open to all OHSU faculty, residents, staff, and students. The TLC will come to you and present to your group! Check out the Train Your Brain O2 page for more information, to see our 19-20 flyer, or to request a session.
- The Education Scholars Program (ESP) is a longitudinal program with a focus on both education theory and methods. Classroom activities will include small and large group sessions, flipped classroom, asynchronous activities, and mentored time for applying educational concepts to current educational projects.
- Cost: Free to OHSU faculty (tuition must be covered by department)
- Time: Tuesdays 3:30 – 5:30 p.m.
There are a number of graduate certificate and degree programs, offered outside of OHSU, which you can pursue in an effort to improving your skills as an educator. Follow the links below to learn more about each program.
- Master of Health Professions Education | University of Illinois at Chicago
- Master of Health Professions Education | University of Michigan
- Master of Education in Health Professions Education | Cleveland State University and the Cleveland Clinic
- Cardiff University certificates, diplomas and advanced degrees