Visiting Student Program
Welcome to OHSU and the Department of Pediatrics! Our visiting student program is designed to give students the opportunity to experience the exceptional training that OHSU has to offer, as well as an insider look at the Pediatric Residency Program. Students will spend four weeks on either a sub-internship or sub-specialty elective at Doernbecher Children’s Hospital. All students are expected to attend resident conferences, Pediatric Grand Rounds, and Friday Forum.
Please start by reading through the School of Medicine’s Visiting Student page, which includes institutional requirements, important dates, and an FAQ.
To be considered for a visiting student rotation, students must complete an application through AAMC’s Visiting Student Learning Opportunities Program (VSLO). Applications are submitted through VSLO and managed by the School of Medicine's (SoM) Undergraduate Medical Education (UME) MD Program.
SoM-approved applications are forwarded to the Department of Pediatrics for review; offers are extended based on the merit of each candidate. Competitive applicants will provide a robust personal statement (approximately 1 page, single-spaced) describing why they are interested in pediatrics, OHSU, and the elective(s) of their choice.
For the 2023-2024 academic year, the following pediatric rotations will be offered to visiting students. Availability is subject to change.
- PEDI 709A Sub-I Pediatric Inpatient
- PEDI 709B Sub-I Neonatal Medicine
- PEDI 709D Sub-I Pediatric Critical Care
- PEDI 709J Sub-I Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- PEDI 709F Pediatric Cardiology
- PEDI 709G Pediatric Pulmonology
- PEDI 709H Pediatric Endocrinology
- PEDI 709I Pediatric Infectious Disease
- PEDI 709K Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics
- PEDI 709L Pediatric Neurology
- PEDI 709P Pediatric Gastroenterology
- PEDI 709S Pediatric Nephrology
OHSU is dedicated to being an organization diverse in people and ideas. We recognize the importance of a diverse workforce to maximize our potential for quality patient care, educational excellence, creativity, innovation, and outstanding service. In support of our commitment to recruit trainees who reflect the population we serve, the OHSU Pediatric Residency Program is delighted to offer a funded visiting rotation experience to medical students from diverse backgrounds.
- A 4-week visiting rotation at Doernbecher Children’s Hospital
- $2,000 stipend for travel, housing, and application expenses
- An assigned faculty mentor
- A resident or fellow near-peer mentor
- A personal meeting with the Residency Program Director
- An offer to interview for a position in our pediatric residency program
- Visit the OHSU MD program site for visiting students; applicants for the Diverse Visiting Student Experience in Pediatrics must meet all listed requirements.
- Review rotation options, listed above.
- Submit an application for an OHSU pediatric visiting rotation through VSLO.
- Complete the Qualtrics application for the OHSU Diverse Visiting Student Experience in Pediatrics, including a letter of intent (500 word max) that addresses:
- your interest in the program
- your career goals
- how you believe your background and experience contribute to diversity at OHSU
We welcome and consider a wide range of life experiences as part of diversity.
Priority Deadline: April 10
Applications received by this date will be given priority review. Subsequent applications will be reviewed until the program is filled.
Decisions Communicated to Applicants: Week of April 17
Offers will go out the week of April 17 and will include the specific pediatrics rotation being offered. Subsequent applications will be reviewed until the program is filled.