The Department of Pediatrics is one of the busiest at OHSU in terms of volume of visiting students each year. We are committed to providing students with educationally valuable experiences at OHSU, whether they are interested in specific electives or have come to OHSU to gain exposure to our pediatric residency training program.
Visiting students must first complete an application through AAMC’s Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO), which is managed by the School of Medicine Dean’s Office.
If approved, your application is forwarded to the Department of Pediatrics for placement. Final acceptance is contingent on an Affiliation Agreement being in place between OHSU and your school prior to the start of the rotation.
In the 2019-2020 academic year, the following Pediatric elective courses will be offered to visiting students. Please note that this availability is subject to change.
- PEDI 709A Sub-I Pediatric Inpatient
- PEDI 709AP Sub-I Pediatric Ward Night Team
- PEDI 709B Sub-I Neonatal Medicine
- PEDI 709D Sub-I Pediatric Critical Care
- PEDI 709J Sub-I Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- PEDI 709F Pediatric Cardiology
- PEDI 709G Pediatric Pulmonology
- PEDI 709H Pediatric Endocrinology
- PEDI 709I Pediatric Infectious Disease
- PEDI 709K Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics
- PEDI 709L Pediatric Neurology
- PEDI 709S Pediatric Nephrology
Your Pediatric Visiting Student application to OHSU will be evaluated in its entirety and offerings are extended based on the overall merit of each candidate. Competitive applicants will provide a robust personal statement (approximately 1 page, single-spaced) describing why they are interested in pediatrics, OHSU, and the elective(s) of their choice, inclusively.
In addition to your clinical elective experiences, you will be included in departmental conferences, student conferences, and learning opportunities specifically designed for visiting students.