DCH PANDA Dispatch
COORDINATION FROM START TO FINISH
What is the Doernbecher Children's Hospital (DCH) PANDA Team?
The DCH PANDA (Pediatric And Neonatal Doernbecher Ambulance) Team transports critically ill children by ambulance, helicopter, or fixed wing aircraft from hospitals all across the Pacific Northwest to Doernbecher Children's Hospital located in Portland, OR. PANDA is the largest and longest running pediatric and neonatal intensive care transport program in Oregon.
When You Need PANDA Call PANDA Dispatch
We operate 24/7 with a dedicated, recorded telephone line for all PANDA requests. We arrange all aspects of the mission. With one phone call we will
- connect you to a DCH specialist
- activate the PANDA Team
- oversee the transfer, admission, and bed placement process
- set up and direct transportation for your patient
- document all phases of the event in our secure database
For more information on the PANDA Team, click here.
Ambulance or Air?
We know the fastest and safest way to travel based on:
- hospital location
- weather conditions
- traffic patterns
- aircraft availability
Once we activate our team they can be on the road in 10 minutes. We have arrangements in place with ground and air transport agencies around the state to expedite service. We organize transfers between ambulance and flight crews throughout the trip.
Safety is Our Focus - We Know Where Our Team Is At Any Time
- 30 minute check-ins throughout the journey
- GPS ground transport tracking system
- Regular updates to medical staff on patient condition and team location
Unexpected Situations - We Have Solutions
- Traffic delays - we supply information and alternate routes.
- Flight delays - we will have an ambulance or other aircraft at any airport.
Emergencies En Route - We Get Immediate Help
- Accidents - we organize an EMS response.
- Medical crisis - we notify attending physicians and provide any needed assistance.
Third Party Transports
The PANDA Team is authorized to transport patients between other Oregon hospitals and to out-of-state hospitals. Contact PANDA Dispatch to discuss these options with the PANDA medical directors.
Our History at OHSU
In 1995 the DCH transport teams for the pediatric and neonatal units merged to form the DCH PANDA Team. The Emergency Communication Center took over the role of DCH PANDA Dispatch in 1998. PANDA achieved the CAMTS certification in 2009.