TelePICU, TeleNICU and TeleStroke
When your hospital or clinic is part of our telemedicine network, expert support is just a phone or video call away. We are always ready, whether you need a quick phone consult to discuss your care plan, or an extra set of eyes and skills during an emergency.
When you partner with us, you can:
- Call us 24/7 and be connected to the specialist you need.
- Have a quick conversation to talk through a situation or care plan.
- Put us on video with your patient or their family to help facilitate an easier transfer.
- Get advice and expertise throughout an emergency, like strokes and newborn resuscitation, so you can provide lifesaving care quickly.
- Safely keep more pediatric and stroke patients in your community hospital.
Our TelePICU service gives you access to pediatric intensivists in OHSU’s pediatric ICU. The American College of Surgeons has verified our PICU as a Level 1 Children’s Trauma Center and Doernbecher Children’s Hospital as a Level 1 site for Children’s Surgery.
We are one of just two Level 1 PICUs in Oregon and Southwest Washington – both are in Portland. Our telemedicine network means more kids around the region can be safely cared for right in their community.
You can expect:
- Consults with highly trained pediatric intensivists. Our providers are pediatricians who have completed a critical-care fellowship.
- Live, interactive, two-way video technology to put our intensivist virtually in the room with the provider and patient.
- Partnership on triage, treatment decisions, interventions and more.
- Support during code resuscitations and other emergencies.
Our TeleNICU service gives you access to neonatal experts in OHSU’s Level IV NICU via live, interactive, two-way video technology. Highly trained pediatricians who have completed a neonatology fellowship are always available.
We are available 24/7 to support you with:
- Known risks like extreme prematurity or congenital defects. As soon as a patient arrives in labor, we can activate OHSU’s PANDA transport team, which may even arrive in time to help with delivery. We will work with you to determine whether a transfer is needed.
- Concerns that arise during labor and delivery. Call us to talk through your care plan, and whether the experts and equipment you’ll need are available at your hospital.
- Newborn resuscitation and other emergencies. Our experience and expertise can make sure providers never feel alone in these critical moments.
When it comes to stroke, time is brain. Our TeleStroke service gives you immediate access to expert stroke neurologists at the OHSU Brain Institute. OHSU’s stroke center is DNV-certified with comprehensive expertise to treat complex strokes.
Fast treatment for stroke can be lifesaving. For hospitals without a stroke neurologist, the best treatment has been to get the patient to the closest stroke center as quickly as possible. We are available 24/7 to support you with:
- Starting life-saving treatment immediately, before or instead of transferring your patient.
- Safely treating patients with tPA to quickly dissolve blood clots when you don’t have a stroke expert in your community.
- Preparing your patient and getting consent for thrombectomy before transport to OHSU. When your patient arrives, they can go straight to our advanced interventional radiology lab.
- Reducing costs and improving patient satisfaction by ensuring you transfer only patients you can’t care for locally.
We will respond within two business days to:
- Answer your questions
- Set up a virtual or in-person meeting
- Arrange a demonstration
OHSU offers access to collaborative learning tools and opportunities through Project ECHO.