OHSU strives to provide patients with the highest quality of healthcare in a safe and supportive environment. Obtaining care is very personal and often stressful. We realize that misunderstandings and inconveniences sometimes occur.
We encourage you, your family, or your representative to first discuss your issues with your healthcare team. The physicians, nurses and other health care professionals who have been involved in your care are most familiar with your particular situation. Usually they will be able to quickly resolve any issues you may have.
If a member of your healthcare team is unable to satisfy your concerns, or if you are not satisfied with the response you have received, contact the Department of Patient Relations.
The complaint process
We ask patients or families who have problems, complaints or concerns to follow the process described below. These steps ensure patients first seek assistance from staff members who are most familiar with their care, and who can provide additional options if needed:
- Please speak with the members of your healthcare team first. Usually, they can quickly resolve most issues.
- If you are not satisfied with the response you have received from your healthcare team, call Patient Relations at 503-494-7959, stop by the office to talk with our staff or request a complaint form. You also may send a written concern to:
Patient Relations Dept - UHS-3
Oregon Health & Science University
3181 S.W. Sam Jackson Park Road
Portland, OR 97239-3098
- If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Patient Relations office, you may contact the following outside resources to register your complaint:
- Oregon Health Authority, Health Care Regulation & Quality Improvement:
- DNV-GL Healthcare
- The Joint Commission, Office of Quality Monitoring: