Patients come to us from across the U.S. for our expertise and advanced therapies for nerve disorders and injuries. At the OHSU Nerve Center, you’ll find:
- A central place to get a fast and accurate diagnosis for any nerve condition.
- Providers who understand that nerve conditions often need timely treatment for a successful outcome.
- Access to teams of specialists across OHSU.
- The only center in Oregon with nerve transfer surgery to restore muscle function and sensation.
- Internationally recognized surgeons and minimally invasive options.
- Expert rehabilitation services in state-of-the-art facilities.
- Neurology and neurosurgery programs that are ranked among the nation’s best.
We work in partnership with experts across OHSU in:
- ALS and neuromuscular disease
- Facial nerve disorders
- Head trauma
- Neurosurgery, including neurosurgery for pain
- Orthopaedics and orthopaedic surgery
- Plastic and reconstructive surgery
- Pain management
- Spine conditions
- Trigeminal neuralgia (facial pain)
- Rehabilitation services, including experts in neurologic conditions and hand therapy
Conditions we treat
- Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor
Learn more about our treatments for nerve tumors.
We provide expert diagnostic services and care for neuropathies including:
- Neuropathies related to illness, including diabetes
- Neuropathies related to infection, including HIV
- Hereditary neuropathies, including Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease
- Autoimmune neuropathies, such as vasculitis and chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP)
- Neuropathies related to chemotherapy, alcohol abuse, exposure to toxins, and lack of vitamins
- Idiopathic neuropathies (unknown cause)
- We see hundreds of patients a year. This gives us a deep understanding of complex nerve disorders. We’ll provide an accurate diagnosis and a treatment plan tailored to your needs.
- We offer expert second opinions and treatment options when other approaches haven’t worked. We also favor the least invasive options first.
- You’ll find team-based care, with any specialists you need working together. Your care team may include:
- A neurologist
- A neurosurgeon
- A plastic surgeon
- An orthopaedic surgeon
- An ear, nose and throat surgeon
- A pain expert
- A rehabilitation specialist
- We’re the only center in Oregon to offer nerve transfer surgery, which can restore muscle function and sensation lost because of nerve damage.
- Our surgeons are experts in minimally invasive endoscopic surgery. This results in less pain and faster recovery.
- Our neurotoxin injection specialists have advanced expertise in the use of therapeutic botulinum toxin, such as Botox, to relieve nerve pain.
- We offer treatments that may avoid opioid use and provide more effective control of nerve pain.
- You will have access to a full range of support services, including our Neurology Wellness Clinic with complementary therapies for neuropathic pain.
Research and clinical trials
As Oregon’s only academic health center, OHSU makes research a core mission. We’re committed to turning discoveries in the lab into better care for patients.
- We’re studying whether our innovative nerve transfer technique can reverse paralysis.
- Our scientists have published dozens of studies on medications that control nerve pain.
- The OHSU Brain Institute offers patients access to clinical trials to test promising new therapies.
- Researchers in OHSU’s Balance Disorders Laboratory are working to find ways to improve quality of life for patients with peripheral nerve and other disorders.
Referral: To become a patient, please ask your doctor for a referral.