Patients come to us from across the U.S. for our expertise and advanced therapies for nerve disorders and injuries. At the OHSU Nerve Center, you’ll find:
- A central place to get a fast and accurate diagnosis for any nerve condition.
- Providers who understand that nerve conditions often need timely treatment for a successful outcome.
- Access to teams of specialists across OHSU.
- The only center in Oregon with nerve transfer surgery to restore muscle function and sensation.
- Internationally recognized neurosurgeons and minimally invasive options.
- Expert rehabilitation services in state-of-the-art facilities.
- Neurology and neurosurgery programs that are ranked among the nation’s best.
- Providers who are part of the OHSU Brain Institute, a leading research center into improving care.
We work in partnership with experts across OHSU in:
- ALS and neuromuscular disease
- Facial nerve disorders
- Head trauma
- Neurosurgery, including neurosurgery for pain
- Orthopaedics and orthopaedic surgery
- Plastic and reconstructive surgery
- Pain management
- Spine conditions
- Trigeminal neuralgia (facial pain)
- Rehabilitation services, including experts in neurologic conditions and hand therapy
Conditions we treat
- Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor
Learn more about our treatments for nerve tumors.
We provide expert diagnostic services and care for neuropathies including:
- Neuropathies related to illness, including diabetes
- Neuropathies related to infection, including HIV
- Hereditary neuropathies, including Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease
- Autoimmune neuropathies, such as vasculitis and chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP)
- Neuropathies related to chemotherapy, alcohol abuse, exposure to toxins, and lack of vitamins
- Idiopathic neuropathies (unknown cause)
- We see hundreds of patients a year. This gives us a deep understanding of complex nerve disorders. We’ll provide an accurate diagnosis and a treatment plan tailored to your needs.
- Our neurosurgeon, Dr. Kim Burchiel, is an internationally known provider and scientist who has pioneered new treatments for nerve disorders. Dr. Burchiel also wrote the highly regarded textbook “Surgical Management of Pain.”
- We offer expert second opinions and treatment options when other approaches haven’t worked. We also favor the least invasive options first.
- The Nerve Center is part of the OHSU Brain Institute. We’re ranked by U.S. News & World Report as among the best in the nation for neurology and neurosurgery.
- You’ll find team-based care, with any specialists you need working together. Your care team may include a neurologist, neurosurgeon, hand surgeon, plastic surgeon, orthopaedic surgeon, pain expert and rehabilitation specialist.
- We’re the only center in Oregon to offer nerve transfer surgery, which can restore muscle function and sensation lost because of nerve damage.
- Our surgeons are experts in minimally invasive endoscopic surgery. This results in less pain and faster recovery.
- Our neurotoxin injection specialists have advanced expertise in the use of therapeutic botulinum toxin, such as Botox, to relieve nerve pain.
- We offer treatments that may avoid opioid use and provide more effective control of nerve pain.
- You will have access to a full range of support services, including our Neurology Wellness Clinic with complementary therapies for neuropathic pain.
Research and clinical trials
As Oregon’s only academic health center, OHSU makes research a core mission. We’re committed to turning discoveries in the lab into better care for patients.
- We’re studying whether our innovative nerve transfer technique can reverse paralysis.
- Our scientists have published dozens of studies on medications that control nerve pain.
- The OHSU Brain Institute offers patients access to clinical trials to test promising new therapies.
- Researchers in OHSU’s Balance Disorders Laboratory are working to find ways to improve quality of life for patients with peripheral nerve and other disorders.
Referral: To become a patient, please ask your doctor for a referral.
Refer a patient
- Refer your patient to OHSU.
- Call 503-494-4567 to seek provider-to-provider advice.