Arrhythmia and Heart Rhythm
OHSU's Heart Rhythm Clinic is dedicated to the diagnosis and management of all types of heart rhythm disorders. We offer a complete range of noninvasive and traditional electrophysiology (EP) services, as well as a dynamic research program.
For appointments, call 503-494-1775
Meet our heart rhythm team
Dr. Charles Henrikson is the director of the electrophysiology program at OHSU. Dr. Henrikson performs the full range of EP procedures including laser lead extraction, epicardial access and ablation, and afib ablation. He has an active research program with over 70 peer-reviewed publications.
Heart rhythm treatment options
OHSU's heart rhythm experts work as a team to treat every kind of arrhythmia, palpitation and flutter including a-fib, tachycardia, complete heart block and Long QT Syndrome. Treatment options can include:
- Ablation (radiofrequency and epicardial) — a less invasive treatment that sends radiofrequency signals via a catheter to your heart to prevent the abnormal signals that cause arrhythmia.
- Pacemaker — a common solution to regulate an irregular heartbeat caused by a heart attack, age, or other factors.
- Defibrillator — if your heartbeat is irregular and abnormally fast, a defibrillator may be required to deliver a shock to the heart to slow the heartbeat to a normal rhythm.
- Miniature heart monitor — a tiny monitor implanted under the skin to help detect potentially fatal heart muscle misfires before they become deadly
- Laser lead extraction — technically challenging procedure to remove wires when a permanent pacemaker or implantable cardiac defibrillator (ICD) is removed or replaced.
- Ventricular arrhythmia care — our first-of-its-kind program combines expert arrhythmia care with treatment for anxiety, depression and related symptoms.
Patient story: Craig
I live in Texas, and after 64 years of almost perfect health, experiencing a cardiac arrest was the last thing on my mind. I had started a new health routine 18 months prior that involved exercise and health supplements. Immediately I developed night sweats, something I had never experienced before.
Patient story: Jana
I didn't think I would ever get my old life back, but I'm stronger and healthier than I was a decade ago.