OHSU's Heart Surgery Program specializes in the surgical treatment of patients with cardiovascular disease. Surgeons with expertise in heart valve surgery, coronary artery bypass, cardiac transplantation, and aortic surgery evaluate and treat patients. For appointments, call 503-494-7820.
Meet our heart surgery team
Dr. Howard Song is the chief of the Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery and performs surgery for patients with all types of adult cardiovascular disease, including coronary artery disease, valvular heart disease, heart failure, and aortic aneurysms. His special areas of clinical interest include aortic and mitral valve repair, transplantation, ventricular assist devices, and aortic aneurysms.
Cardiac surgery treatment options
Our team of top cardiac surgeons use the most advanced techniques to perform minimally invasive, open heart and complex procedures. Treatment options include:
- Heart failure and transplant – OHSU has the only heart transplant program in Oregon.
- Heart valve repair and replacement – When heart valve disease cannot be treated with medication, heart valve repair or replacement may be the best solution.
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) – This innovative and minimally invasive treatment option replaces the aortic valve without open-heart surgery.
- Coronary artery bypass procedures – OHSU surgeons use the safest and most effective techniques for coronary artery bypass surgeries.
- Minimally invasive heart surgery – OHSU heart surgeons are experts in the latest minimally invasive surgical techniques.
- Aortic surgery – We offer both scheduled and emergency thoracic aortic surgery.
- Congenital heart surgery – For adults and congenital heart surgery for children.
Ask the heart and vascular experts
Patient story - Wesley
Wesley was diagnosed with heart failure at age 29. Watch how OHSU’s multidisciplinary heart team is helping Wesley stay healthy and active while he waits for his heart transplant.