OHSU Doernbecher Children’s Hospital is the only West Coast children's hospital with an intraoperative (in surgery) MRI suite. Benefits of this transformative technology include:
- Exceptional precision in brain tumor removal, epilepsy surgery and other procedures
- Reduced chances of additional surgery
- Better outcomes for your child or adolescent
- Less stress for you and your family
How it works
Our powerful 3-Tesla intraoperative MRI — iMRI for short — uses magnetic resonance imaging (not radiation) to create high-resolution brain scans during surgery. This gives our pediatric neurosurgeons sharp, finely detailed maps of your child’s brain in real time. Combining these with scans taken before surgery gives doctors the most complete brain mapping possible.
Our 10,000-square-foot suite also lets patients stay in place, with the iMRI gliding to the patient when a scan is needed.
Why it matters
- Better outcomes: The iMRI enables our pediatric neurosurgeons to operate with remarkable accuracy. They can remove tumors with less risk of damage to your child’s developing brain. They can make sure they removed all of a tumor or as much as possible.
- Precision: When surgeons use only scans taken before surgery, they must account for brain shifts during surgery. Even a tiny shift can keep surgeons from saving delicate pathways or removing all of a tumor. With iMRI, our neurosurgeons can count on to-the-millimeter accuracy.
- Fewer surgeries: This accuracy reduces the chance that your child will need a follow-up surgery. That means a lower risk for your child — and less stress for you.
- Immediate results: Surgeons know during surgery if it was successful. They can give you a full update right after, lowering your stress and uncertainty.
- Safety: Leaving the patient in place reduces exposure to infection. The iMRI also enables the team to detect and handle any complications while still in surgery.
Call 503-346-0640 to:
- Request an appointment.
- Seek a second opinion.
- Ask questions.
Parking is free for patients and their visitors.
Doernbecher Children’s Hospital
700 S.W. Campus Drive
Portland, OR 97239
Map and directions