The OHSU Department of Dermatology is a comprehensive team of board-certified specialists who manage all aspects of skin care, from melanomas and skin diseases to aesthetic treatments utilizing the latest lasers and therapeutics. Our providers are involved in multiple missions, including patient care, research, education, community service and leadership at the local, state, national, and international levels.
In addition to our care of patients at clinics in the Center for Health & Healing in the South Waterfront and our satellite offices in Lake Oswego, Beaverton, and Hillsboro, our doctors provide care in the OHSU Hospital and Doernbecher Children's Hospital. Additionally, OHSU providers care for our veterans at the Portland Veterans Affairs Medical Center and staff under-served clinics in The Dalles and in Longview, Washington.
The OHSU Department of Dermatology is:
- 26 Board Certified Dermatologists
- 2 Board Certified Dermatopathologists
- 4 Board Certified Pediatric Dermatologists
- 3 Nurse Practitioners
- 5 Physician Assistants
- 1 Fellow (Dermatologists training in a sub-specialty of dermatology)
- 14 Residents (Doctors training to be dermatologists)
- 10+ PhD researchers
- 100+ staff supporting the clinical operations
The OHSU Department of Dermatology provides:
- The only pediatric dermatologists in Portland
- Internationally recognized expertise in atopic dermatitis (eczema) and psoriasis
- Internationally recognized expertise in dermatopathology
- Internationally recognized expertise in dermatologic surgery
- The Northwest’s dermatologists – nearly half of the dermatologists who received their training at OHSU have stayed in the state or in bordering states
The OHSU Department of Dermatology supports:
- 55,000+ patients a year in its clinics
- 25,000+ patients a year through its dermatopathology services
- Hundreds of doctors each year with consultations on the phone, in person and in the hospital
- Hundreds of articles/papers published and presentations given annually by faculty to students and the worldwide dermatology community.
Meet the chair
The Department of Dermatology is led by chairwoman Sancy Leachman, M.D., Ph.D. Dr. Leachman is a physician-scientist who is active in both seeing patients and conducting research — primarily in melanoma. Along with her role as Chair, Dr. Leachman is Dr Leachman is also the Director of the Melanoma Program at the Knight Cancer Institute.
Dr. Leachman has launched a formal War on Melanoma™, determined to find answers and reduce deaths caused by melanoma. Learn more.