Special focus on
- Biliary Tract Cancer
- Liver Cancer
- Metastatic Colorectal Cancer
- Pancreatic Cancer
- Retroperitoneal Sarcoma
- M.D., Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine 2006
- M.P.H., Oregon Health & Science University School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine 2006
- General Surgery, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2006
- General Surgery, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2013
- Cancer Immunology, Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, 2011
- Complex General Surgical Oncology, Hepatopancreatobiliary Focus, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, 2013-15
- American Board of Surgery, General Surgery, 2013
- American Board of Surgery, Complex General Surgical Oncology, 2016
Dr. Skye Mayo is board certified in both Complex General Surgical Oncology and in General Surgery. His clinical practice serves patients with tumors of the liver, bile ducts, and pancreas. He also treats patients with gall bladder cancer, cancers of the stomach and digestive system, and retroperitoneal sarcomas. His research focuses on helping patients with cancers that have spread to or arise in the liver, such as colorectal cancer and intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma.
Dr. Mayo is an Oregon native: born in Eastern Oregon and raised in Central Oregon. During his surgical residency at Johns Hopkins his clinical and research work focused on the treatment of patients with pancreatic and liver cancers. He completed a research fellowship in Cancer Immunology at the Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins investigating the role of immune therapy in patients with metastatic liver disease. His surgical oncology fellowship at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York was focused in advanced Hepatopancreatobiliary Surgery where he was also certified to perform robotic cancer operations.
He is a member of a talented team of surgeons and oncologists at OHSU where he uses his experience and research to help advance the treatment of patients with cancers of the liver, bile ducts, and pancreas. He is a member of the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute and of the Southwest Oncology Group, which offers patients the latest in cancer care through participation in clinical trials. His research at OHSU involves using hepatic arterial regional therapy for patients with liver and bile duct cancers and investigating how to harness the immune system to fight cancer. Specifically, his research efforts are directed toward the early detection of recurrent cancer and monitoring responses to treatment in patients with colorectal cancer metastatic to the liver.
Dr. Mayo views it as a privilege to work with patients, their families, and primary care doctors to develop the best treatment plans. He is dedicated to offering the highest quality of service. He looks forward to working with other cancer specialists to help give his patients the most options and the best possible outcome.Read more
Memberships and associations
- Society of Surgical Oncology (SSO)
- Americas Hepato Pancreato Biliary Association (AHPBA)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- Connective Tissue Oncology Society (CTOS, Sarcoma)
- American Association of Cancer Research (AACR)
- Johns Hopkins Surgery, Old Hands Club
- American College of Surgeons
- North Pacific Surgical Association
- Portland Surgical Society
- Mackenzie Surgical Society
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Medical Honor Society
- SWOG (Southwest Oncology Group) Surgery and Gastrointestinal Oncology Committee Member
- Trans Atlantic Retroperitoneal Sarcoma Working Group (TARPSWG), Member
4.9 out of 5 (169 Ratings, 20 Comments)
The patient ratings score is an average of all responses to the question "How likely would you be to recommend this provider to your family and friends (on a scale of 0 to 10)" on our nationally-recognized NRC patient surveys.
- Jul 25, 2018
This is by far the best hospital I have ever stepped foot in, the staff are beyond professional and make you feel as if you are being cared for in the absolute best manner possible! Can?t say enough good things about OHSU
- Jul 11, 2018
They?re amazing with their knowledge. Kind a responsive
- Jul 11, 2018
He was very nice and informative and confident. Thank you.
- Jul 11, 2018
Great care. Compassionate Doctors. Efficient staff.
- Jun 20, 2018
I appreciate that Dr. Mayo was able to clearly and early in the visit clearly state I had no issues. Getting that out of the way immediately greatly reduced my stress.
- May 16, 2018
- Mar 07, 2018
- Jan 10, 2018
Very pleased with Dr Mayo and his forthright approach. He has my complete trust and confidence in his abilities.
- Dec 20, 2017
I would only recommend this provider to someone with the type of cancer I have. He is very knowledgeable about my condition and the care/treatment required. For such a busy doctor, he listened to all my concerns and addressed them so that I feel confident in proceeding with care.
- Nov 15, 2017