My research focus is on obesity, weight bias, and disordered eating. Currently, I am working on examining the effectiveness and feasibility of an obesity sensitivity training intervention among nurses and other healthcare providers. The purpose of this intervention is to increase awareness of weight bias , enhance the health care provider-client interaction, and maximize opportunity for adoption of healthy behaviors.
I am also currently working on nursing education/simulation research. Prior research included developing and testing psychometric properties of tools used in undergraduate nursing Objective Structured Clinical Examinations (OSCEs) and Objective Structured Clinical Assessments (OSCAs). Currently, we are examining the perceptions and experiences of students with OSCE/As.
Education and training
- B.S.N., 1995, American University of Beirut
- M.S.N., 2004, University of Texas Health Science Center Houston
- P.N.P., 2004, University of Texas Health Science Center Houston
- Ph.D., 2011, University of California - Los Angeles
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing Diversity Leadership Institute Fellow, 2022
Memberships and associations:
- Sigma Theta Tau International
- National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners
- Western Institute of Nursing