Dr. Lo specializes in caring for women with high-risk pregnancies, which include complex maternal or fetal medical issues. She believes that each pregnancy and birth experience is unique and requires individualized care. Dr. Lo finds satisfaction in helping women achieve a healthier pregnancy and delivery, especially those who may otherwise not be able to safely have children. Her current research focus is on the effect of maternal substance use and other environmental factors on placental development and offspring outcomes in pregnancy. Additionally, she is study the impact of chronic cannabis use on male and female reproductive health, pregnancy and offspring outcomes.
- B.A., 2004, Molecular Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley
- M.D., 2008, Oregon Health & Science University
- M.C.R., 2015, Oregon Health & Science University
- Obstetrics and gynecology, University of Utah Health Science Center, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2012
- Maternal-fetal medicine, Oregon Health & Science University, 2015
- Maternal Fetal Medicine, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Memberships and associations
- American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Society of Reproductive Investigation
- Society of Maternal Fetal Medicine
- Perinatal Research Society
- American Society of Reproductive Medicine
Areas of interest
- Maternal substance use
- Alcohol use in pregnancy
- Reproductive health
- Lo, JO; Roberts, VHJ; Schabel MC; Wang, X; Morgan, TK; Liu, Z; Studholme, C; Kroenke, CD; Frias, AE. Novel detection of placental insufficiency by magnetic resonance imaging in the non-human primate. Reproductive Sciences. 2018;25(1):64-73. PMCID: PMC5993076
- Roberts, VHJ; Lo, JO; Bednarek, P; Lewandowski, KS; Blundell, P; Grove, KL; Kroenke, CD; Sullivan, EL; Roberts, CT; Frias, AE. Adverse placental perfusion and pregnancy outcomes in a new non-human primate model of gestational protein restriction. Reproductive Sciences. 2018;25(1):110-119. PMCID: PMC5993074
- Hirsch, AJ; Roberts, VHJ; Grigsby, PL; Haese, N; Schabel, MC; Wang, X; Lo, JO; Liu, Zheng; Kroenke, CD; Smith, JL; Kelleher, M; Broeckel, R; Kreklywich, CN; Parkins, CJ; Denton, M; Smith, P; DeFilippis, V; Messer, W; Nelson, JA; Hennebold, JD; Grafe, M; Colgin, L; Lewis, A; Ducore, R; Swanson, T; Legasse, AW; Axthelm, MK; MacAllister, R; Moses, AV; Morgan, TK; Frias, AE; Streblow, DN. Zika virus infection in pregnant rhesus macaques causes placental dysfunction and immunopatholo
- Lo, JO; Schabel MC; Roberts, VHJ; Wang, X; Lewandowski, KS; Grant, KA; Frias, AE; Kroenke, CD. First trimester alcohol exposure alters placental perfusion and fetal oxygen availability affecting fetal growth and development in a non-human primate model. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017;216(3):302.e1-302. PMCID: PMC5334435 AJOG top-cited paper award
- Lo, JO; Schabel M; Roberts V; Morgan T; Rasanen J; Kroenke C; Shoemaker S; Spindel E; Grove K; Frias A. Vitamin C supplementation ameliorates the adverse effects of nicotine on placental hemodynamics and histology in non-human primates. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015;212(3):370.e1-8. PMCID: PMC4347872
- Lo, JO; Reddy, A; Wilmarth, P; Roberts, V; Kinhnarath, A; Snyder, J; Rincon, M; Gravett, M; Nagalla, S; Pereira, L. Proteomic analysis of cervical vaginal fluid proteins among women in recurrent preterm birth. J. Maternal Fetal Medicine. 2014;27(12):1183-1188. PMID 24102235
- Kimberly S Ryan, Jasper C Bash, Carol B Hanna, Jason C Hedges, Jamie O Lo. Effects of marijuana on reproductive health: preconception and gestational effects. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2021 Dec 1;28(6):558-565. doi: 10.1097/MED.0000000000000686.
- Jamie O Lo, Matthias C Schabel, Victoria H J Roberts, Terry K Morgan, Suzanne S Fei, Lina Gao, Karina G Ray, Katherine S Lewandowski, Natali P Newman, Jacqueline A Bohn, Kathleen A Grant, Antonio E Frias, Christopher D Kroenke. Effects of early daily alcohol exposure on placental function and fetal growth in a rhesus macaque model. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2021 Aug 5;S0002-9378(21)00830-9. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2021.07.028.
- Nicole R Zürcher, Victoria H J Roberts, Matthias C Schabel, Andrea G Edlow, Jacob M Hooker, Jamie O Lo. Imaging Epigenetics of Prenatal THC. ACS Chem Neurosci. 2021 May 5;12(9):1466-1468. doi: 10.1021/acschemneuro.1c00176. Epub 2021 Apr 14.
- Ryan, KS; Mahalingaiah, S; Campbell, LR; Roberts, VHJ; Terrobias, JJD; Naito, CS; Boniface, ER; Borgelt, LM; Hedges, JC; Hanna, CB; Hennebold, JD; Lo, JO. The effects of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol exposure on female menstrual cyclicity and reproductive health in rhesus macaques. F&S Science. 2021;2(3):287-294.