We rely on our volunteers to make the Safety Center successful. You can advance your professional development by working with families.
- Counsel families about safety.
- Provide educational materials.
- Answer questions.
- Help parents buy safety supplies.
- Show families how to use safety devices.
- Help design safety displays and brochures.
Safety Center volunteers get:
- Free parking.
- TriMet tickets, or the OHSU shuttle from Portland State University for scheduled shifts.
- Discounts on services, products, travel, sports and tickets to cultural events and more.
Bilingual volunteers are strongly encouraged to apply.
Age: You must be at least 18.
Duties and skills:
- Communicate effectively with families, children and medical staff.
- Exhibit a strong work ethic and good organizational skills.
- Work independently and as part of a team.
- Learn safety and injury-prevention statistics, regulations and tips (training will be provided).
- Complete all required steps through OHSU Healthcare Volunteer Services, including application, interview, background check, tuberculosis test, immunizations and online training.
- Work one four-hour shift a week for six months, or two four-hour shifts a week for three months. Shifts are available 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays.
How to apply
Visit OHSU’s Volunteer page for more information.
Location and hours
The Tom Sargent Safety Resource Center is in Doernbecher's main lobby.
Doernbecher Children’s Hospital
700 S.W. Campus Drive
Portland, OR 97239
Map and directions
Hours: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. weekdays or by appointment.
Visit our Safety Resources page to find brochures you can download and links to safety products in our nonprofit store.