The Tom Sargent Safety Center at OHSU Doernbecher Children’s Hospital is dedicated to keeping your child safe. At the center, one of the few of its kind in Oregon, you’ll find:
- A nonprofit store with low-cost safety supplies and resources.
- Safety tips for parents and children.
- Community events to help you provide a safe environment.
- Partnerships with safety organizations.
- Leadership in encouraging families, health care providers and officials to prevent injuries.
Programs and services
Car seat program
What it is: Certified child passenger safety technicians will make sure your child is in the right type of seat. We’ll also provide education to make sure the seat is installed and used correctly. There is no cost to you.
Where: You can make a weekday appointment at Doernbecher or attend one of our monthly Saturday Car Seat Clinics. See the Events section below for the clinic calendar.
Make an appointment: Call 503-494-3735 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Kohl’s Sleeping Safe Program
The OHSU Doernbecher Tom Sargent Safety Center and the Kohl’s Cares Program are partners in the Sleeping Safe Campaign to provide educational materials available in nine languages.
What it is: Eligible families will get education and a Cribette, Halo Sleep Sack and crib sheet through Cribs for Kids.
Learn more: Visit our Kohl’s Sleeping Safe Program page or call us with questions.
From childproofing your home to getting your child ready for sports, we offer resources and education that will help you prevent injuries.
Find what you need: Our Safety Resources page provides brochures and links to safety products.
Educate yourself: Learn how to keep your children safe in almost any situation. Our Safety Tips have advice on these topics:
For health care professionals
A key part of our mission is working with health care professionals to reduce childhood injuries. Among the ways we can serve you, your staff and your patients:
- Customized safety presentations at your office
- Professional training opportunities
- Injury-prevention brochures you can share with patients
- Formal or informal referrals
Learn more: Visit our For Health Care Professionals page.
- American Red Cross — Oregon Chapter
- Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence
- Child passenger safety, Oregon Impact
- Lead Poisoning Prevention Workshops, Community Energy Project
- Oregon Poison Center
- Oregon State Fire Marshal
- Oregon State Marine Board
- Safe Kids Oregon
- Oregon Safe Routes to School
- ThinkFirst Oregon
Hours and location
9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. weekdays or by appointment.
Visit our Safety Resources page to find brochures you can download and links to safety products in our nonprofit store.