Dermatological care from the comfort of your home
OHSU Dermatology now offers the option of virtual visits, linking patients with dermatology experts from any location (in Oregon). Virtual visits:
- Are live, one-on-one appointments with a dermatology provider through a phone, tablet, or computer with a webcam
- Take place at a scheduled time
- Are HIPAA-compliant and private
Anyone who meets the below criteria can call to schedule a virtual visit:
- Has a MyChart account
- Is at least 15 years of age (or is a guardian of someone under 15 years old)
- Is in the state of Oregon during the time of the virtual visit
- Is looking to make an appointment for a condition that can be addressed with a virtual visit (per provider discretion)
Virtual visits can be used to request medical advice for non-urgent dermatological conditions.
Virtual visits are best suited to appointments where the focus is discussion or question based, rather than exam based. Due to the technology limitations and follow-up care necessary for some appointments, not all conditions are seen via virtual visit.
Virtual visits are scheduled under the discretion of our provider team to assure the virtual visit is a useful encounter for both patient and provider.
Virtual visits are treated as normal patient visits, thus are eligible for insurance coverage.
Virtual visits happen through a secure video portal on your MyChart account. 15 minutes before the scheduled appointment time, users should log into their MyChart account, and log into the virtual visit portal.
Some tips for a successful virtual visit:
- Find a well-lit area for your visit
- Test your video equipment beforehand to avoid technical issues
- Assure you are in a private setting
Due to picture quality limitations during live video chats, it can be very difficult for a provider to provide meaningful feedback on visual skin ailments.
We encourage every user to take photos of their areas of concern, and send these to the virtual visit provider (securely through MyChart Messages) before the virtual visit begins. It is recommended to send at least one photo from distance view (~12 inches away) and one of close-up view (~3-4 inches away).
For tips on how to take successful images of your skin conditions, please view these instructions.
MyChart Messages can be found on your MyChart home screen, on both the phone app and on internet browser. When you are drafting your message, MyChart allows you to attach up to 5 photos.