I see patients at
Address700 S.W. Campus DrivePortland, Oregon 97239
Before scheduling your appointment, we recommend you contact your insurance company to verify that the OHSU Health location or provider you plan to visit is included in your network. Your insurance company will also be able to inform you of any copayments, co–insurance, or deductibles that will be your responsibility. If you proceed in scheduling an appointment and your health insurance benefits do not participate with OHSU providers, your out of pocket liability may be higher. Visit the billing and insurance section of our site for more information.
Dr. Marilyn Butler is a pediatric surgeon and professor of surgery in the Division of Pediatric Surgery in the OHSU School of Medicine.
She has a special interest in minimally invasive surgery, in which operations can be performed using an incision as small as the diameter of a pencil or a piece of spaghetti. These surgeries can allow children to return to school within a few days of the surgery. She also has a special interest in surgery of the neck, including problems with the thyroid and parathyroid glands.
Dr. Butler did volunteer clinical and surgical work in Vietnam and China, and is committed to improving surgical care for children in low- and middle-income countries. She founded and served as an editor for the Global Paediatric Surgery Network, which aims to increase resources for children's surgery in resource-poor regions of the world. The network has now merged with the Global Initiative for Children's Surgery to form the GICS Network.
Dr. Butler earned a Master of Arts degree from Harvard University, a Master of Philosophy degree from the University of Cambridge, her M.D. degree from Columbia University and a Master of Public Health degree from Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
She completed a residency in general surgery at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center in New York City, and another residency in pediatric surgery at Texas Children’s Hospital in Houston. She also completed a post-doctoral research fellowship at the Center for Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation at the Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center in New York City.
When she's not working, Dr. Butler enjoys cooking, hiking, traveling, woodworking and learning to play the bass guitar.
- M.A., 1981, Harvard University
- M. Phil., 1982, University of Cambridge
- M.D., 1987, Columbia University
- M.P.H., 2016, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Pediatric Surgery, Texas Children’s Hospital, Houston, TX, 1994-1996
- General Surgery, Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, New York, NY, 1987-1994
- Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Division of Pediatric Surgery, Center for Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation, Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, New York, NY, 1990-1992
- American Board of Surgery, 1995; Recertified 2015
- Spanish (some)
Memberships and associations
- American College of Surgeons, Fellow
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Surgical Section
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Section on International Child Health
- American Pediatric Surgical Association
- British Association of Paediatric Surgeons
- Children's Oncology Group
- European Paediatric Surgeons' Association
- International Pediatric Endosurgery Group
- John Jones Surgical Society, Columbia University Department of Surgery
- North Pacific Surgical Association
- Pacific Association of Pediatric Surgeons
- Pan-African Association of Pediatric Surgeons
- Society of International Humanitarian Surgeons
- World Health Organization, Global Initiative for Essential and Emergent Surgery