Matthew Wood earned his MD and a PhD in pharmacology and toxicology at Dartmouth Medical School in Hanover, New Hampshire. His graduate work with Dr. Yolanda Sanchez involved modeling the genetic defect of neurofibromatosis type 1 in budding yeast in order to create a novel drug screening platform. He then completed his residency in anatomic pathology and neuropathology fellowship at University of California, San Francisco, where he developed an interest in the molecular classification of brain tumors. He continued as a postdoctoral research fellow at the UCSF Brain Tumor Research Center, working with Dr. Russ Pieper, as part of an NIH-funded training program in translational brain tumor research.
Dr. Wood's research interests are in advancing molecular diagnostic approaches to brain tumors. He provides neuropathology support for collaborations with neurosurgery and pediatric neurology.
- B.S., 2002, Carnegie Mellon University
- M.D., Ph.D., 2012, Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
- Pathology Resident, University of California San Francisco, 2012-2014
- Neuropathology Fellow, University of California San Francisco, 2014-2016
- Anatomic Pathology (ABP), 2016
- Neuropathology (ABP), 2016
Areas of interest
- Diagnostic surgical and autopsy neuropathology
- Using molecular testing to characterize brain tumors to enable the best possible disease classification, prognostication, and treatment.
- "Mechanisms of targeted therapy resistance in a pediatric glioma driven by ETV6-NTRK3 fusion." Keddy C, Neff T, Huan J, Nickerson JP, Beach CZ, Akkari Y, Ji J, Moore S, Nazemi KJ, Corless CL, Beadling C, Woltjer R, Cho YJ, Wood MD, Davare MK. Cold Spring Harb Mol Case Stud. 2021 Aug 24. Doi: 10.11.1/mcs.a006109. PMID 34429303.
- "Post-treatment hypermutation in a recurrent diffuse glioma with H3.3 p.G34 mutation." Wood MD, Neff T, Nickerson JP, Sayama C, Raslan AM, Ambady P, Corless CL, Nazemi KJ. Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol. 2021 Apr;47(3):460-463. PMID 33296093.
- "Updates in pediatric glioma pathology." Hakar MH, Wood MD. Surg Pathol Clin. 2020 Dec;13(4):801-816. PMID 33183734.
- "Cystic appearance on magnetic resonance imaging in bihormonal growth hormone and prolactin tumors in acromegaly." Varlamov EV, Wood MD, Netto JP, Thiessen J, Kim J, Lim DST, Yedinak CG, Banskota S, Cetas JS, Fleseriu M. Pituitary. 2020 Dec;23(6):672-680. PMID 32870441.
- "A case of recurrent epilepsy associated rosette-forming glioneuronal tumor with anaplastic transformation in the absence of therapy." Halfpenny AM, Ferris SP, Grafe M, Woltjer R, Selden N, Nazemi K, Perry A, Solomon DA, Gultekin SH, Moore S, Olson S, Lawce H, Lucas L, Corless CL, Wood MD. Neuropathology. 2019 Oct 39(5):389-393. PMID 31435988.
- "An unusual recurrent high-grade glioneuronal tumor with MAP2K1 mutation and CDKN2A/B homozygous deletion." Cheaney B II, Bowden S, Krause K, Sloan EA, Perry A, Solomon DA, Han SJ, Wood MD. Acta Neuropathol Commun. 2019 Jul 9;7(1):110. PMID 31288852.
- "Neurofibromin knockdown in glioma cell lines is associated with changes in cytokine and chemokine secretion in vitro." Wood MD, Mukherjee J, Pieper RO. Sci Rep. 2018 Apr 11;8(1):5805. doi: 10.1038/s41598-018-24046-2. PMID 29643433.
- "Multimodal molecular analysis of astroblastoma enables reclassification of most cases into more specific molecular entities." Wood MD, Tihan T, Perry AJ, Chacko G, Turner C, Pu C, Payne C, Yu A, Bannykh S, Solomon DA. Brain Pathol. 2018 Mar;28(2):192-202. PMID 28960623
- "Mutant IDH1 Expression Drives TERT Promoter Reactivation as Part of the Cellular Transformation Process." Ohba S, Mukherjee J, Johannessen TC, Mancini A, Chow TT, Wood M, Jones L, Mazor T, Marshall RE, Viswanath P, Walsh KM, Perry A, Bell RJ, Phillips JJ, Costello JF, Ronen SM, Pieper RO. Cancer Res. 2016 Nov 15;76(22):6680-6689. PMID: 27758882.