Dr. Gold’s research focuses on the understanding the usability of Electronic Health Records in the ICU, specifically focused on the ability to use simulated patient charts to create high-fidelity EHR training exercises as well as provide a test bed to objectively assess usability of the EHR. This infrastructure has led to a number of publications and Dr. Gold has received grants from AHRQ to conduct this research. Recently, Dr. Gold has expanded this work to include understanding how all member of the interprofessional team (Nurses, pharmacists physicians etc….) interact with the EHR during ICU rounds. This was funded initially through a grant by the Donaghue foundation and AAMC and has since received additional RO1 funding from AHRQ. In addition, this work is now part of the National Center for Interprofessional Care’s “NEXUS” network.
In part based on his work with EHR based simulation, Dr. Gold was appointed co-director of OHSU simulation in 2013, and in 2015 appointed Director of Simulation for OHSU.Read more
- M.D., New York University School of Medicine, New York New York 1995
- Internal medicine, Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, 1995
- Pulmonary and critical care medicine, NYU Medical Center, NY 1998
- American Board of Internal Medicine, internal medicine, 1998
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Medicine, 2001
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Critical Care Medicine, 2002
Memberships and associations
- American Foundation for Medical Research
- American Thoracic Society
- Society for Critical Care Medicine
- American College of Chest Physicians
- "A 5-day intensive curriculum for interns utilizing simulation and active-learning techniques : Addressing domains important across internal medicine practice." BMC Research Notes In: , Vol. 11, No. 1, 916, 21.12.2018.
- "Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole induced circulatory shock in a human immunodeficiency virus uninfected patient : a case report and review." BMC pharmacology & toxicology In: , Vol. 19, No. 1, 20.11.2018.
- "Impact of Passive Laboratory Alerts on Navigating Electronic Health Records in Intensive Care Simulations." SAGE Open In: , Vol. 8, No. 2, 01.04.2018.
- "Chirp-Evoked Otoacoustic Emissions and Middle Ear Absorbance for Monitoring Ototoxicity in Cystic Fibrosis Patients." Ear and Hearing In: , 13.07.2017.
- "Rapid onset of hypoxemia in a man with graft-versus-host disease after stem cell transplant leukemia." Annals of the American Thoracic Society In: , Vol. 14, No. 2, 01.02.2017, p. 283-287.
- "From Competencies to Competence : Model, Approach, and Lessons Learned From Implementing a Clinical Informatics Curriculum for Medical Students." Health Professionals' Education in the Age of Clinical Information Systems, Mobile Computing and Social Networks. Elsevier Inc., 2017. p. 269-287.
- "Perspectives and uses of the electronic health record among US pediatricians : A national survey." Journal of Ambulatory Care Management In: , Vol. 40, No. 1, 2017, p. 59-68.
- "Accuracy of Laboratory Data Communication on ICU Daily Rounds Using an Electronic Health Record." Critical Care Medicine In: , 20.09.2016.
- "Feasibility of utilizing a commercial eye tracker to assess electronic health record use during patient simulation." Health Informatics Journal In: , Vol. 22, No. 3, 01.09.2016, p. 744-757.
- "The cumulative effects of intravenous antibiotic treatments on hearing in patients with cystic fibrosis." Journal of Cystic Fibrosis In: , 19.07.2016.
- "Professional and interprofessional differences in electronic health records use and recognition of safety issues in critically ill patients." Journal of Interprofessional Care In: , 25.06.2016, p. 1-7.
- "Frequency of Passive EHR Alerts in the ICU : Another Form of Alert Fatigue?" Journal of Patient Safety In: , 22.06.2016.
- "Use of Electronic Health Record Simulation to Understand the Accuracy of Intern Progress Notes." Journal of graduate medical education In: , Vol. 8, No. 2, 01.05.2016, p. 237-240.
- "Using Simulations to Improve Electronic Health Record Use, Clinician Training and Patient Safety : Recommendations From A Consensus Conference." AMIA ... Annual Symposium proceedings. AMIA Symposium In: , Vol. 2016, 2016, p. 904-913.
- "Integrating the Electronic Health Record into high-fidelity interprofessional intensive care unit simulations." Journal of Interprofessional Care In: , Vol. 29, No. 6, 03.11.2015, p. 562-563.
- "A comparison of free-standing versus co-located long-term acute care hospitals." PLoS One In: , Vol. 10, No. 10, e139742, 06.10.2015.
- "Using High-Fidelity Simulation and Eye Tracking to Characterize EHR Workflow Patterns among Hospital Physicians." AMIA ... Annual Symposium proceedings. AMIA Symposium In: , Vol. 2015, 01.01.2015, p. 1881-1889.
- "Intelligent Simulation Model To Facilitate EHR Training." AMIA ... Annual Symposium proceedings. AMIA Symposium In: , Vol. 2015, 01.01.2015, p. 925-932.
- "Variability in Electronic Health Record Usage and Perceptions among Specialty vs. Primary Care Physicians." AMIA ... Annual Symposium proceedings. AMIA Symposium In: , Vol. 2015, 01.01.2015, p. 2053-2062.
- "Participation in EHR based simulation improves recognition of patient safety issues." BMC Medical Education In: , 21.10.2014, p. 1-8.
- "Use of simulation to assess electronic health record safety in the intensive care unit : A pilot study." BMJ Open In: , Vol. 3, No. 4, e002549, 2013.
- "Intermittent mechanical tricuspid valve obstruction recognized by central venous pressure tracing and confirmed by transesophageal echocardiography." Journal of the American College of Cardiology In: , Vol. 60, No. 10, 04.09.2012.
- "The role of cyclooxygenase-2 in mechanical ventilation-induced lung injury." American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology In: , Vol. 47, No. 3, 09.2012, p. 387-394.
- "Interleukin 5 is protective during sepsis in an eosinophil-independent manner." American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine In: , Vol. 186, No. 3, 01.08.2012, p. 246-254.
- "The role of eosinophils in non-parasitic infections." Endocrine, Metabolic and Immune Disorders - Drug Targets In: , Vol. 11, No. 2, 06.2011, p. 165-172.
- "OX40 ligand regulates inflammation and mortality in the innate immune response to sepsis." Journal of Immunology In: , Vol. 185, No. 8, 15.10.2010, p. 4856-4862.
- "Alcohol withdrawal syndromes in the intensive care unit." Critical Care Medicine In: , Vol. 38, No. SUPPL. 9, 09.2010.
- "Mouse eosinophils possess potent antibacterial properties in vivo." Infection and Immunity In: , Vol. 77, No. 11, 11.2009, p. 4976-4982.
- "Differential role for CD80 and CD86 in the regulation of the innate immune response in murine polymicrobial sepsis." PLoS One In: , Vol. 4, No. 8, e6600, 12.08.2009.
- "Racial variations in the incidence of severe alcohol withdrawal." Journal of Medical Toxicology In: , Vol. 5, No. 1, 2009, p. 8-14.