Dr. Coakley is the chair of Diagnostic Radiology. He joined OHSU in August 2012 from the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) where he was a professor in residence in the Department of Radiology and Biomedical Imaging in the UCSF School of Medicine. He was also chief of the Abdominal Imaging Section and vice chair for Clinical Services in the Department of Radiology and Biomedical Imaging. He holds a concurrent honorary appointment as a professor in residence in the Department of Urology.
Dr. Coakley received his medical degree in 1988 from the School of Medicine, University College Cork, Ireland. His postgraduate training is diverse and includes an internship at Mercy Hospital in Cork, medical residency at Mater and St. Vincent’s Hospitals in Dublin, and radiology residency at Leicester teaching Hospitals in Leicester, England. Dr. Coakley was a fellow in body imaging at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center before joining UCSF in 1997.
During a year away from UCSF in 2000–2001, he was assistant professor and director, body MRI, at Memorial Sloan-Kettering and Weill Medical College of Cornell University. Dr. Coakley has been an active clinician, teacher and researcher. He is involved in teaching at all levels, from medical students to postgraduate trainees. He was program director of two postgraduate training programs at UCSF – a joint abdominal imaging fellowship between UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco General Hospital and San Francisco VA Medical Center, and a T32 training grant from the NIH, which he secured in 2005 and which was renewed through 2015. One of Dr. Coakley’s main research interests is the potential of MR-guided high intensity focused ultrasound for cancer therapy and tumor ablation.
His department chair at UCSF credits Dr. Coakley for bringing this technology and technique to UCSF Medical Center. He is widely published in peer-reviewed scientific journals and is a frequent lecturer and sought after expert in CT radiation dose, MR-guided high intensity focused ultrasound and MRI of prostate cancer.Read more
- M.B.B.C.H., School of Medicine, University College, Cork Ireland 1988
- Mercy Hospital, Cork, Ireland 1988–1989
- Medical Resident- Mater and St. Vincent’s Hospitals, Dublin, Ireland 1989–1991
- Radiology Resident- Leicester teaching Hospitals, Leicester, England 1991- 1996
- Body Imaging Fellowship- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York 1996-1997
- Postgraduate Research Fellow- Indiana University Medical Center, Indianapolis Sept 1995 - December 1995
- FMGEMS 1988
- Member, Royal College of Physicians of Ireland 1990
- Fellow, Royal College of Radiologists, London 1994
- MD - Post-doctoral medical degree of the National University of Ireland for thesis entitled “The detection of pulmonary metastases by spiral CT” 2001
- American Board of Radiology- Diagnostic Radiology 2001
- "Dominant intraprostatic cancer confirmed by direct MRI-guided biopsy : Concordance with histopathological findings." Clinical Imaging In: , Vol. 51, 01.09.2018, p. 273-278.
- "Endorectal MR imaging of prostate cancer : Evaluation of tumor capsular contact length as a sign of extracapsular extension." Clinical Imaging In: , Vol. 50, 01.07.2018, p. 280-285.
- "Case series of collapsed simple renal cysts potentially simulating cystic malignancy at CT." Clinical Imaging In: , Vol. 50, 01.07.2018, p. 297-301.
- "ACR Appropriateness Criteria Post-treatment Follow-up Prostate Cancer." Journal of the American College of Radiology In: , Vol. 15, No. 5, 01.05.2018, p. S132-S149.
- "ACR Appropriateness Criteria Pretreatment Staging of Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer." Journal of the American College of Radiology In: , Vol. 15, No. 5, 01.05.2018, p. S150-S159.
- "Performance characteristics of magnetic resonance imaging without contrast agents or sedation in pediatric appendicitis." Pediatric Radiology In: , 19.06.2017, p. 1-9.
- "Direct magnetic resonance imaging-guided biopsy of the prostate : Lessons learned in establishing a regional referral center." Translational Andrology and Urology In: , Vol. 6, No. 3, 01.06.2017, p. 395-405.
- "ACR Appropriateness Criteria Prostate Cancer—Pretreatment Detection, Surveillance, and Staging." Journal of the American College of Radiology In: , Vol. 14, No. 5, 01.05.2017, p. S245-S257.
- "ACR Appropriateness Criteria Hematospermia." Journal of the American College of Radiology In: , Vol. 14, No. 5, 01.05.2017, p. S154-S159.
- "ACR Appropriateness Criteria Staging of Testicular Malignancy." Journal of the American College of Radiology In: , Vol. 13, No. 10, 01.10.2016, p. 1203-1209.
- "Relative sensitivities of DCE-MRI pharmacokinetic parameters to arterial input function (AIF) scaling." Journal of Magnetic Resonance In: , Vol. 269, 01.08.2016, p. 104-112.
- "A modified approach for transgluteal prostate biopsy in patients without rectal access." American Journal of Roentgenology In: , Vol. 207, No. 2, 01.08.2016, p. W20.
- "Radiological appearances of corpus luteum cysts and their imaging mimics." Abdominal Radiology In: , 29.07.2016, p. 1-13.
- "Beyond prostate adenocarcinoma : Expanding the differential diagnosis in prostate pathologic conditions." Radiographics In: , Vol. 36, No. 4, 01.07.2016, p. 1055-1075.
- "Prostate cancer with a pseudocapsule at MR imaging : A marker of high grade and stage disease?" Clinical Imaging In: , Vol. 40, No. 3, 01.05.2016, p. 365-369.
- "Endorectal multiparametric MRI of the prostate : Incremental effect of perfusion imaging on biopsy target identification." Clinical Imaging In: , Vol. 40, No. 3, 01.05.2016, p. 553-557.
- "Revised Atlanta classification for acute pancreatitis : A pictorial essay." Radiographics In: , Vol. 36, No. 3, 01.05.2016, p. 675-687.
- "PROMISe trial : A pilot, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of magnetic resonance guided focused ultrasound for uterine fibroids." Fertility and Sterility In: , Vol. 105, No. 3, 01.03.2016, p. 773-780.
- "Metastatic renal cell carcinoma without evidence of a renal primary." International Urology and Nephrology In: , Vol. 48, No. 1, 01.01.2016, p. 73-77.
- "The combination of axitinib followed by paclitaxel/carboplatin yields extended survival in advanced BRAF wild-type melanoma : Results of a clinical/correlative prospective phase II clinical trial." British Journal of Cancer In: , Vol. 112, No. 8, 14.04.2015, p. 1326-1331.
- "Direct MRI-guided biopsy of the prostate : use of post-biopsy needle track imaging to confirm targeting." Abdominal Imaging In: , Vol. 40, No. 7, 17.02.2015, p. 2517-2522.
- "Neuroendocrine tumors : Beyond the abdomen." Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography In: , Vol. 38, No. 6, 11.12.2014, p. 898-914.
- "Musculoskeletal pitfalls and pseudotumours in the pelvis : A pictorial review for body imagers." British Journal of Radiology In: , Vol. 87, No. 1042, 20140243, 01.10.2014.
- "Radiation-induced liver disease as a mimic of liver metastases at serial PET/CT during neoadjuvant chemoradiation of distal esophageal cancer." Abdominal Imaging In: , Vol. 39, No. 5, 01.10.2014, p. 963-968.
- "Endorectal MRI and MR spectroscopic imaging of prostate cancer : Developing selection criteria for MR-guided focal therapy." Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging In: , Vol. 39, No. 3, 03.2014, p. 519-525.
- "Suprarenal retroperitoneal liposarcoma with intracaval tumor thrombus : An imaging mimic of adrenocortical carcinoma." Clinical Imaging In: , Vol. 38, No. 1, 01.2014, p. 75-77.
- "CT of acute appendicitis : Can diagnostic accuracy serve as a practical performance metric for readers specialized in abdominal imaging?" Clinical Imaging In: , Vol. 38, No. 1, 01.2014, p. 56-59.
- "Role of endorectal MR imaging and MR spectroscopic imaging in defining treatable intraprostatic tumor foci in prostate cancer : Quantitative analysis of imaging contour compared to whole-mount histopathology." Radiotherapy and Oncology In: , Vol. 110, No. 2, 2014, p. 303-308.
- "Clinical utility of endorectal MRI-guided prostate biopsy : Preliminary experience." Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging In: , Vol. 40, No. 2, 2014, p. 314-323.
- "Computed Tomography of Iatrogenic Complications of Upper Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, Stenting, and Intubation." Radiologic Clinics of North America In: , Vol. 52, No. 5, 2014, p. 1055-1070.