I have seen patients with autism and worked with their families since 1986. Prior to joining OHSU in 2012, I held academic appointments at INSERM (Paris, France), King's College London (Institute of Psychiatry, London, UK), McGill University (Montreal, Canada) where I developed clinical and research programs. In addition to conducting my own research on the epidemiology of psychiatric disorders in children with special reference to autism, I spend time disseminating scientifically valid information to different professional and non-professional audiences. I created and taught in several training programs on autism research in various countries. I have devoted significant time to international efforts to develop advocacy for autism and boost local research and clinical capacity in under-resourced/developing countries including Mexico, China, Oman, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Morocco and Brazil. I also enjoy activities with my family, including cooking, reading and playing music. I have four boys and like to hike and ski.
Areas of interest
- I have conducted epidemiological research on common psychiatric disorders occurring in child and adolescents. In particular, I have been interested in examining time trends in the incidence of youth psychosocial disorders and searching their causes. I have been involved in studies of autism as well as clinical care for over 30 years and have a wide range of interest including understanding the genetic mechanisms underpinning risk for autism, examining developmental trajectories and factors associated with better or worse outcomes, behavioral and psychopharmacological management, autism in adult life, and support to families and their associations.
- M.D., University of Paris, Paris France 1978
- Psychiatry Residency , University of Paris, 1977-1980
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University of Paris, 1980-1982
Honors and awards
- Lauréat de la Faculté de Médecine de Paris (MD Thesis Distinction), 1980
- Canada Research Chair in Child Psychiatry, 2001-2012
- Career Scientist Award of Excellence, Foundation for Research into Children’s Diseases, Quebec, 2007
Memberships and associations
- Joint Editor of the Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry (2016- )
- Associate Editor, Journal of Autism and developmental Disorders (199402004)
Fombonne E. The use of questionnaires in child psychiatry research: measuring their performance and choosing an optimal cut-off. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 1991 May;32(4):677-93. PubMed PMID: 1864896.
Fombonne E. The Chartres Study: I. Prevalence of psychiatric disorders among French school-age children. Br J Psychiatry. 1994 Jan;164(1):69-79. PubMed PMID: 8137112.
Fombonne E. Anorexia nervosa. No evidence of an increase. Br J Psychiatry. 1995 Apr;166(4):462-71. PubMed PMID: 7795917.
Fombonne E. Suicidal behaviours in vulnerable adolescents. Time trends and their correlates. The British Journal of Psychiatry. 1998 Aug; 173(2):154-159. PubMed PMID: 9850228.
Fombonne E, Chakrabarti S. No evidence for a new variant of measles-mumps-rubella-induced autism. Pediatrics. 2001 Oct;108(4):E58. PubMed PMID: 11581466
Fombonne E, Zakarian R, Bennett A, Meng L, McLean-Heywood D. Pervasive developmental disorders in Montreal, Quebec, Canada: prevalence and links with immunizations. Pediatrics. 2006 Jul;118(1):e139-50. PubMed PMID: 16818529
Fombonne E, Bolton P, Prior J, Jordan H, Rutter M. A family study of autism: cognitive patterns and levels in parents and siblings. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 1997 Sep;38(6):667-83. PubMed PMID: 9315977.
Fombonne E, Wostear G, Cooper V, Harrington R, Rutter M. The Maudsley long-term follow-up of child and adolescent depression. 1. Psychiatric outcomes in adulthood. Br J Psychiatry. 2001 Sep;179:210-7. PubMed PMID: 11532797.
Fombonne E, Marcin C, Bruno R, Tinoco CM, Marquez CD. Screening for autism in Mexico. Autism Res. 2012 Jun;5(3):180-9. PubMed PMID: 22581514.
Fombonne E, Rogé B, Claverie J, Courty S, Frémolle J. Microcephaly and macrocephaly in autism. J Autism Dev Disord. 1999 Apr;29(2):113-9. PubMed PMID: 10382131.
- "Editorial : The rising prevalence of autism." Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines In: , Vol. 59, No. 7, 01.07.2018, p. 717-720.
- "Subtyping cognitive profiles in Autism Spectrum Disorder using a Functional Random Forest algorithm." NeuroImage In: , Vol. 172, 15.05.2018, p. 674-688.
- "SPARK : A US Cohort of 50,000 Families to Accelerate Autism Research." Neuron In: , Vol. 97, No. 3, 07.02.2018, p. 488-493.
- "Testing Syndromes of Psychopathology in Parent and Youth Ratings Across Societies." Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology In: , 25.01.2018, p. 1-14.
- "Comparison of Two Tools to Assess Sensory Features in Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder." The American journal of occupational therapy : official publication of the American Occupational Therapy Association In: , Vol. 72, No. 1, 01.01.2018, p. p1-7201195010.
- "Special Editorial : Open science and the Journal of Child Psychology & Psychiatry - next steps?" Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines In: , 01.01.2018.
- "Tendances temporelles de la prévalence et de l’incidence du TDAH diagnostiqué chez les enfants et les jeunes adultes entre 1999 et 2012 au Canada : une étude de couplage de données." Canadian Journal of Psychiatry In: , Vol. 62, No. 12, 01.12.2017, p. 818-826.
- "Early cannabis initiation and educational attainment : is the association causal? Data from the French TEMPO study." International journal of epidemiology In: , Vol. 46, No. 5, 01.10.2017, p. 1641-1650.
- "Polygenic transmission disequilibrium confirms that common and rare variation act additively to create risk for autism spectrum disorders." Nature Genetics In: , Vol. 49, No. 7, 01.07.2017, p. 978-985.
- "Meta-analysis of GWAS of over 16,000 individuals with autism spectrum disorder highlights a novel locus at 10q24.32 and a significant overlap with schizophrenia." Molecular Autism In: , Vol. 8, No. 1, 21, 22.05.2017.
- "Modifying the Autism Spectrum Rating Scale (6–18 years) to a Chinese Context : An Exploratory Factor Analysis." Neuroscience Bulletin In: , Vol. 33, No. 2, 01.04.2017, p. 175-182.
- "Chinese Norms for the Autism Spectrum Rating Scale." Neuroscience Bulletin In: , Vol. 33, No. 2, 01.04.2017, p. 161-167.
- "Assessing the Accuracy of the Modified Chinese Autism Spectrum Rating Scale and Social Responsiveness Scale for Screening Autism Spectrum Disorder in Chinese Children." Neuroscience Bulletin In: , Vol. 33, No. 2, 01.04.2017, p. 168-174.
- "Erratum to : Early emotional and behavioral difficulties and adult educational attainment: an 18-year follow-up of the TEMPO study." European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry In: , 25.01.2017, p. 1-2.
- " Prévalence et corrélats des troubles du spectre de l’autisme au Québec." Canadian Journal of Psychiatry In: , 01.01.2017.
- "Impact of personal and social resources on parenting stress in mothers of children with autism spectrum disorder." Autism In: , Vol. 21, No. 2, 2017, p. 155-166.
- "Beyond sentences : Using the expression, reception, and recall of narratives instrument to assess communication in school-aged children with autism spectrum disorder." Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research In: , Vol. 60, No. 8, 2017, p. 2228-2240.
- "Exonic Mosaic Mutations Contribute Risk for Autism Spectrum Disorder." American Journal of Human Genetics In: , 2017.
- "Risk of Autism Spectrum Disorders in Children Born to Mothers With Rheumatoid Arthritis : A Systematic Literature Review." Arthritis Care and Research In: , 2017.
- "Parental social networks during childhood and offspring depression in early adulthood : a lifecourse approach." Depression and Anxiety In: , Vol. 33, No. 11, 01.11.2016, p. 1031-1038.
- "Editorial : Isolating the essential difference – The importance of choosing the right type and sufficient numbers of controls in research on neurodevelopmental disorders and mental health conditions." Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines In: , Vol. 57, No. 11, 01.11.2016, p. 1203-1204.
- "No association between mycotoxin exposure and autism : A pilot case-control study in school-aged children." Toxins In: , Vol. 8, No. 7, 224, 20.07.2016.
- "Prenatal antidepressant use and risk of autism spectrum disorders in children." JAMA Pediatrics In: , Vol. 170, No. 7, 01.07.2016, p. 711-712.
- "Resilience and Developmental Health in Autism Spectrum Disorder." Positive Mental Health, Fighting Stigma and Promoting Resiliency for Children and Adolescents. Elsevier Inc., 2016. p. 91-109.
- "Food insecurity and mental health problems among a community sample of young adults." Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology In: , 13.06.2016, p. 1-9.
- "Early emotional and behavioral difficulties and adult educational attainment : an 18-year follow-up of the TEMPO study." European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry In: , 03.05.2016, p. 1-3.
- "Joint trajectories of internalizing and externalizing problems in preschool children with autism spectrum disorder." Development and Psychopathology In: , 05.02.2016, p. 1-12.
- "Prevalence of Autism Spectrum Disorders in Guanajuato, Mexico : The Leon survey." Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders In: , 21.01.2016, p. 1-17.
- "Increased risk of autism spectrum disorders in children born to women with systemic lupus erythematosus : Results from a large population-based cohort." Arthritis and Rheumatology In: , Vol. 67, No. 12, 01.12.2015, p. 3201-3208.
- "Obesity and autism." Pediatrics In: , Vol. 136, No. 6, 01.12.2015, p. 1051-1061.