Held every summer, the University Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities Summer Internship Program provides opportunities for high school or early college students to gain experience in the disability field, develop transferable skills, and learn about various career paths in health care. Interns will receive training on disability rights, sensitivity, and advocacy, and also participate in group tours and OHSU labs, clinics, and facilities.
Interns will participate approximately 24 hours per week in a project at one of the Institute on Development and Disability centers, gaining knowledge in research, clinical care, information dissemination, or community programs. Interns will also have an opportunity to network with other interns, as well as OHSU staff and faculty. At the end of the internship, participants will present about their summer experience to their cohort.
This internship is designed for students who are interested in pursuing a career in health care, with an emphasis on disability.
For potential applicants
The following students are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Students who experience a disability
- Students with siblings or family members who experience a disability
- Students from historically underrepresented groups in the health and science professions
- Students from diverse social and economic backgrounds
To qualify, applicants must -
- be 16 years of age or older on or before the first day of the internship
- be able to participate on summer break from high school or undergraduate college or university. Ideally undergraduates will be in their first two years of college. More advanced undergraduates may apply, however, the internship is geared to students who are still exploring career options.
- be available for the entire 8 weeks of the internship and participate 24 hours per week
- complete and submit on-boarding paperwork at least 8 weeks prior to the start date of the internship
- complete 3-5 hours of online training prior to the start of the internship
Applications for the Summer Internship Program are closed. Please check back in December for the Summer 2021 program.
2020 program details
- Internship dates: June 22nd to August 14th
- Application acceptance period: December 3, 2019 to January 31, 2020
- Work experience disciplines: Our internship work experience placements change on an annual basis. Previous years' disciplines have included public health education, sexual health education, assistive technology, policy and advocacy, physical therapy, psychology, diversity and inclusion, and social work.
2020 internship application and selection timeline
- Application deadline January 31, 2020 at 5 p.m.
- Interviews: Mid-March 2020
- Final notification: End of April 2020
- Internship on-boarding documents due: May 08, 2020
- Online on-boarding training complete: May 15, 2020
- Internship begins: June 22, 2020
University Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities contact information: email@example.com or 503-494-0737.