In 2020-2022, the University Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities at OHSU is partnering with the Oregon Health Authority (OHA) to provide training and support to Oregon high school transition programs to teach skills that will promote sexual health and healthy relationships.
The Friendships & Dating Program (F&D), developed by the University of Alaska UCEDD, is an evidence-based, comprehensive approach to teach individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities the skills needed to develop meaningful relationships and prevent interpersonal violence.
Friendships and Dating Program training for Oregon transition teachers
The OHSU UCEDD will be hosting a Friendships and Dating training for Oregon transition teachers in August 2021. To be eligible for this training, at least some of your transition classroom students should be in the 18–21 age group.
- August 4th & 5th, 2021 from 10am-2pm each day: Training for Cohort 4
- January 2022: Online cohort check-in meeting
- Fall 2021 or Winter 2022: Cohort 4 implementation
The project will include training, curriculum, and financial support for programs to implement F&D within transition classrooms. We recommend transition programs have two teachers attend the training and then co-facilitate the F&D curriculum in their classroom.
- Two-day F&D facilitator training
- Financial support for participation in training
- F&D curriculum with supplementary materials
- Financial support for implementation
- Additional resources and professional development opportunities
- Attend 2-day F&D training in August 2021
- Implement 10-week F&D course in transition program fall 2021 or winter 2022
- note: at least some of your students must be 18 to 21 years old. This is a grant and data collection requirement.
- Collect and submit classroom data (e.g. attendance, demographic data, class surveys) to OHA or UCEDD at OHSU
- Attend cohort video meetings
- Attend informational webinars
Interested in learning more about implementing the F&D program? Watch our Friendships and Dating program informational webinar.
Further questions about the Friendships and Dating Program? Please contact Angie at firstname.lastname@example.org
Friendships & Dating Program in Oregon High Schools
In June and August of 2020 and March of 2021, 72 teachers from 33 transition programs across Oregon were trained to facilitate Friendships & Dating. Each transition program has a team of at least two teachers who will teach Friendships & Dating in their classrooms.
Friendships and Dating Program Locations
1. Adult Living Program, Gresham
2. Arata Creek, Troutdale
3. Art Tech High School - Adult Transition, Wilsonville
4. Ashland High School, Ashland
5. Bethel Community Transition Network (BCTN), Eugene
6. Bridges to Independence, Oregon City
7. Central High School, Independence
8. Community Transition Program, Lake Oswego High School
9. Community Transition Program, Portland Public Schools
10. Community Transitions Program, Fairview
11. Crater High School, Central Point
12. Crook County High School, Prineville
13. David Douglas Community Transition Program, Portland
14. Estacada Adult and Youth Transition Program, Estacada
15. Hidden Valley High School, Grants Pass
16. Illinois Valley High School, Cave Junction
17. Jerome Prairie Transition Center, Grants Pass
18. La Grande High School, La Grande
19. Lakeview High School, Lakeview
20. Madras High School, Madras
21. Neah-Kah-Nie Middle/High, Rockaway Beach
22. Nestucca Valley Middle/High, Cloverdale
23. Newport High School, Newport
24. Parkrose High School, Portland
25. Phoenix Talent Schools, Phoenix
26. Rainier High School, Rainier
27. Roosevelt High School, Portland
28. Sherwood High School, Sherwood
29. Step Up Brown Education Center, Redmond
30. Tillamook High School, Tillamook
31. Transition 21, The Dalles
32. Westmoreland Transition Program, Eugene
33. WINGS Transition Program at Crescent Valley High School, Corvallis
Many transition programs last fall were held online due to COVID-19. In August 2020, the OHSU UCEDD and University of Alaska UCEDD provided additional trainings to share tips and best practices for teaching the Friendships & Dating classes online. The March 2021 training provided teachers with both online and in-person best practices. In 2021 teachers anticipate that some classes will be held in-person, some a hybrid model and a few strictly online.
Oregon 2021 Transition Conference Presentation
In April of 2021, Oregon Health Authority and UCEDD presented at the Oregon Statewide Transition Conference about the Friendships and Dating project. In this presentation, we shared preliminary results from the student and teacher surveys.