How to use this directory
The OHSU Experts portal and the OHSU Study Participation Opportunities page are excellent resources for finding OHSU researchers working in the field of disability.
- The OHSU Experts portal is a searchable directory of over 1500 researchers and 75 research units at OHSU. You can use the search tools to find OHSU researchers who have worked in your field of interest, then browse their topic areas, publications, grants, research networks, and more.
- The OHSU Study Participation Opportunities page lists current research studies being conducted at OHSU. By searching for relevant studies, you can find researchers working in your area of interest.
Some researchers working in the field of disability may not appear in these resources. Below, we provide a list including information about researchers working in the OHSU Institute on Development & Disability.
Tips for your search
- When you enter a term in the search box, a drop-down menu will appear. Try clicking both the "concept" and "matching text" search options, as they may return different results.
- Try using related terms. For example, try "motor neuron disease" and "neurodegenerative disease" in addition to "amyotrophic lateral sclerosis."
- Try using both full terms and acronyms. For example, "AAC" and "augmentative and alternative communication" may return different results.
- Try using MeSH subject headings.
- Try the "advanced search" feature. To find it, click the gear icon to the left of the search box. On the Advanced Search page, you can search for exact phrases or identify words to exclude from your search.
- Try the "copy/paste text - find expertise" feature. To find it, click the gear icon to the left of the search box. On the copy/paste text page, you can enter free text which will be analyzed to identify relevant concepts, which are then automatically searched in the OHSU Experts directory. You might try entering a manuscript abstract, the specific aims of a grant, or a funding announcement.
- Try selecting one or more conditions from the Medical Condition(s) list at the top of the form, then click the "Search" button.
- Make sure the Participant's Age field is set to the appropriate option. For example, if you select "Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis" from the Medical Condition(s) list but leave Participant's Age set to "Show studies that include minors," the search will not return any results.
- Try entering search terms into the "Search by Keywords" box, then click the "Keyword Search" button.
- The listing for an individual study includes a description of the study, the name of the principal investigator, and a contact person (who may or may not be the PI). To find contact information for the PI, if not listed on the study page, try searching for them in the OHSU Experts portal, or using a search engine such as Google to search for the PI's name and "OHSU" (e.g. "Jane Smith OHSU").
- Cerebral palsy
- Developmental disability
- Researcher or lab name
OHSU Disability Researchers
Children with special health needs, family experience
Aphasia, augmentative and alternative communication, autism spectrum disorder, machine learning, assessment and evaluation
Early Intervention, mastery motivation, executive function, children born low birth weight (LBW) and preterm
Down syndrome, feeding, constraint-induced movement therapy, transition age youth, autism
Epilepsy, genetics, status epilepticus
Developmental disability, wheelchair, equipment, gait
Down syndrome, pediatric feeding, assistive technology, NICU developmental outcomes
Alexandria Cook, B.A. - email@example.com
Communication, child development, disability, professional development, caregivers
Language disorder, training, Down syndrome, communication disorder
Program development, education, quality improvement
Intellectual disability and mental health, transition, siblings
Communication disorders, assessment, autism spectrum disorders, automatic speech recognition, language
Chronic pain, bleeding disorders
Executive function, autism spectrum disorder, cognition and neuropsychology, preterm birth, brain tumor
Infant feeding disorders
Clinical trials, muscular dystrophy, spinal muscular atrophy, neuromuscular disease
Autism, epidemiology, mental health, genetics
Cleft lip and palate, pediatric feeding disorders, dysphagia
Spina Bifida, integrated care, behavioral intervention, continence, single subject design
Assistive technology, augmentative and alternative communication, communication impairments, severe disabilities, neurodegenerative disease
Measure development, critical care, brain injury, post-intensive care syndrome, interprofessional collaboration, outcomes
Neurodegeneration, genetic, brain iron
Genetic, movement disorders, neurodegeneration, brain iron
Pediatric pain, acute pain, chronic pain, risk and resilience
Health and healthcare disparities impacting youth and adults with disabilities, reproductive health, intersectionality and compounded disparities
Speech intelligibility, voice conversion, dysarthria, alaryngeal speech, automatic pronunciation analysis
Balance disorders laboratory, balance training interventions
Pediatric ototoxicity, pediatric hearing loss
ADHD, learning disabilities
Balance disorders laboratory, balance training interventions
Children and youth with special health care needs, cross-systems care coordination, transition to adult health care
Augmentative and alternative communication, brain-computer interface, assessment and intervention practices for complex communication needs
Primary progressive aphasia, dementia, augmentative and alternative communication, speech and language therapy, tele-practice
Augmentative and alternative communication, brain-computer interface, assistive technology, alternative access, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
Autism spectrum disorder, evidence based practice
Functional assessment, health services, health disparities
Traumatic brain injury, concussion, imaging, neurocritical care, glymphatics
Down syndrome, spina bifida, congenital brain malformations, fetal neurology
Childhood obesity, youth with developmental disabilities, education of psychologists and medical professionals about developmental disabilities
Parenting, integrated care, behavioral intervention, dissemination and implementation
Epilepsy, Dravet syndrome, Lennox Gastaut syndrome, tuberous sclerosis, cortical dysplasia
Screening, early intervention, health informatics, primary care, mobile health
Autism spectrum disorder, cleft lip and palate, healthcare access
Sexual health education for people with disabilities, transition to adulthood
Premature infants, NICU, family centered care, postpartum mood and anxiety disorders
Assistive technology, cerebral palsy, early mobility, torticollis/plagiocephaly, global health
Kelsey Smith, M.A. - firstname.lastname@example.org
Hemophilia, bleeding disorders, menorrhagia, health disparities, access to care
Neurodivergent/neurodiverse identities, relationship and sexual health, transition to adulthood
Transition to adulthood for youth and young adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities, constraint-induced movement therapy for children with hemiplegia
Obstructive sleep apnea, Down syndrome
Social determinants of health, family- and systems-based intervention, access to care, chronic medical conditions, children and adolescents
Chronic pain, pediatric pain, pain-related disability, family risk for chronic pain
Pediatric stroke, neurogenetic disorders, neurodegeneration with brain iron accumulation disorders, dystonia, cerebral palsy
Ketogenic diet; epilepsy surgery; genetic causes of epilepsy